◖ 8 ◗

𝐀𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐋  ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

𝐀𝐏𝐑𝐈𝐋  ❷ ⓿ ❷ ❷

               The Balenciaga Lace-up Sock Trainers on his big feet crossed the parking lot that was filled with vehicles. He matched the trainers with a black, Dolce & Gabbana embroidered DG logo polo shirt and dark blue, tapered fit G-Star Raw cargo pants. He footed into the building and found the front office that was only a short distance away.

               An older, silver-haired, white woman sat behind the desk. "Can I help you sweetheart?"

               "Yes ma'am," he respectfully responded. "I'm hea' to talk to Principal Cohn."

               "Gabe Booker's father?" she asked, and he confirmed with a head nod. "He's a great track star, your son. I will go tell him you arrived."

               Toby nodded as the woman walked the short distance to solid hardwood door. She knocked shortly and opened the door. She spoke a few words before turning to Toby. "He said to come right on in."

               Toby walked behind the counter and to the principal's office. A man of a dark brown complexion and dressed in a suit stood up when Toby entered.

               "Thank you for coming in, Mr. Booker." Principal Cohn offered Toby a firm handshake.

               "Yea' what's this bout?" Toby settled in the chair.

               "It's about Gabe's grades." the principal informed as he sat in his chair, "Freshman year through Junior year your son's grades were impeccable. But as for this year—this semester—his grades has lowered tremendously. D's and F's. I've been sending him home letters to have meetings with his uncle, that was his guardian, but no one ever arrived. Teachers would send home his low grade reports to be signed and they come back signed but still no meeting."

               "Mm, can I see the signatures?"

               Principal Cohn shuffled in the paperwork and sat down sheets in front of him. "They are all identical."

               Toby's eyes scanned over the signatures since he knew Tae's handwriting very well. "That's not my brotha signature."

               Principal Cohn shook his head. "Guess I've been hoodwinked. This meeting is to tell you that Gabe may not walk the stage come June due to his failing three classes."