Chapter 21: The Maze

T H E   M A Z E

———

Mal's POV

June, third task.

We pushed through the crowd of people, trying to get a good spot so I could see Harry and Cedric. We ended up getting pretty good seats, right in the middle. We sat down and waited anxiously for the last task to begin. After a minute or two, I saw my boyfriend wink at me and nod at me to follow him. I excused myself quickly and headed to follow him behind the seats.

"What fool?" I giggled as he put his hands on the back pockets of my jeans and pulled me toward him.

"I missed you."

"You saw me last night."

"It's been a full..." He pretended to count on his fingers, "Sixteen hours."

"I was with my friends all day, you know, cuz of the task. Sorry."

"Sorry's not cutting it Missy" he kissed my neck and I giggled.

"Fine. then what can I do?" I rolled my eyes.

"I can think of a few things." He grinned and I leaned in to kiss him softly.

"Alright, I've got to go back to my seat. Plus, I gotta wish Harry and Ric good luck." He groaned loudly.

"Ugh. Can we finally tell people tonight? After the task is over?"

"Tomorrow. Let Ric have tonight to be happy, I'm not looking forward to hurting him. You know that."

"Damn it Kat, why do you have to be so nice all the time?"

"Cuz I have to balance out your facade of being a mean person." I said matter of a factly and he smiled.

"We're a perfect balance." I smiled sheepishly at his words and kissed him softly again.

"You're so unoriginal. But yes, a perfect balance." He squeezed my hands as a final goodbye and I turned to go back to my seat.

Shit. As I turned to go back, I saw Ric standing in front of us, watching, his eyes full of unshed tears.

"Ric. I can explain. Please let me—" I tried to reach for his hand but he backed away.

"No. Don't touch me right now Mal." I reached for him again but he pushed me away.

"Kat, you shouldn't—" Draco tried to pull me away but I refused, yanking my arm away.

"Please Cedric. I'm sorry. I just couldn't tell you yet." I pleaded for his forgiveness.

"Why?" He whispered.

"Because I didn't want to distract you and—"

"No. Why him? He's hurt you Mal, a lot. I haven't. I've done nothing but stick by you, since the moment I laid my eyes on you. Why him Mal? Why? I love you! Is that not enough for you?!"

"It's not about that Ric, I love you too. I do. I just..." I turned to glance at Draco, who looked mad about my confession, "what Draco and I have is something... different. I don't know how to describe—"

"Do it."

"I don't want to hurt you more." I whispered.

"Try me." He commanded. I sighed and slumped my shoulders in defeat.

"I make him a better person, and he helps me be... me. Unapologetically. Not that you judge me for who I am but he... he brings out a new side. A better side I didn't know I had. We're good for each other. And..." I trailed off.