Chapter 11

Jenna wanted to let out a loud squeal of happiness as she heard the Gryffindors cheer her. James was clapping and cheering the loudest. So with a happy grin upon her face, Jenna took off the hat from her head and placed it back on the stool before darting toward the Gryffindor table to join her brother.

Jenna took the seat in front of James as the clapping died down and McGonagall called the next person from her list. Not many first years were left to be sorted, but Jenna had her full attention now on James.

"Can't wait to write to Dad," said James with an arrogant grin playing at the edge of his lips.

"This time he'll burn the whole house down from happiness," Jenna whispered with a wink and both of them sniggered at the thought.

Although they soon fell silent when the last person was sorted into Ravenclaw, giving an end to the ceremony as McGonagall carried the stool and the hat out of the hall.

Jenna took a quick glance over the Gryffindor table, knowing that these were the people she was going to spend her next seven years with, and that mere thought was enough to resurface her feeling of excitement.

She could see Lily Evans there, who didn't look too happy to be sitting next to Sirius Black, seeing as he had made fun of her and her friend on the train. But trying to ignore the boy, Lily had now turned to speak to one of the older students near her.

     Jenna thought that Lily really looked like a nice girl, from the gentle way she spoke to others. Although by the looks of it, she was still ignoring Sirius Black's presence, apparently not over the rude jokes he had pulled on the train.

     But Sirius didn't seem to be in the mood to make jokes anymore as he had placed his chin upon his palm, staring down at the table blankly.

The most nervous person among the new Gryffindors was a short and chubby boy with light hair, who still seemed anxious even though the sorting ceremony was over. But every once in a while the boy glanced at James's direction, who was talking rapidly to anyone who would listen about how proud he felt to be sorted in Gryffindor.

Jenna could even see Remus Lupin among the new Gryffindor students, whom she had met on the boat and had saved him from falling into the Lake. There was something about this boy's quietness and gentle smile that made Jenna like him already. He seemed to be a good person.

But just then, the sound of chattering came to a stop when Albus Dumbledore got to his feet. Jenna had heard a lot about his greatness from her parents, and had seen many of his pictures on her chocolate cards, although she had never seen him up close.

Professor Dumbledore was beaming at the students, his arms opened wide as he started to speak.

"Welcome! Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts! Before we begin our banquet, I would like to say a few things. First years should note that the forest on the grounds is forbidden to all pupils. I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors, as always."

James let out a quiet scoff. By that, Dumbledore's twinkling blue eyes fell upon him, but he only smiled and continued.

"Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of the term. Anyone interested in playing for their House should contact their team's captain."

Jenna let out a disappointed groan and looked away grumpily, knowing that first years weren't allowed on the team. James didn't seem too happy about the fact that he couldn't play for their House or to bring his own broomstick either.

"Thank you all for listening!" Dumbledore beamed at the students once more. "Now, let the feast begin!"

Jenna suddenly let out a gasp and her eyes widened when the next moment, the dishes in front of them became piled with food. From roast beef, roast chicken, pork chops and lamb chops, sausages, bacon and steak, boiled potatoes, roast potatoes, fries, all the way to Yorkshire pudding, peas, carrots, gravy, and ketchup.

James and Jenna began to eat along with everybody else, all hungry after a long train ride and a tiring day of traveling to Hogwarts.

But as Jenna was helping herself to some roast potato and placing them on her plate, she couldn't help but notice that the person who was sitting next to her was staring at her direction. Jenna tried to ignore it, but the person kept throwing curious glances at her every few seconds.

Finally having enough, Jenna turned her head sharply on the girl sitting next to her. She had short brown hair that barely came onto her shoulders and had a dreamy glimmer in her brown eyes. Jenna had seen her before. She was another one of the first years who were sorted today.

Jenna tried to give the girl a look so she would feel embarrassed and look away, but the girl only offered her a warm smile and only kept on staring at her.

"May I help you?" Jenna asked as politely as possible, though she was growing annoyed.

But then her face softened when the girl said in a dreamy voice, "I really like your hair color."

"Oh," Jenna muttered under her breath at those words, her feeling of irritation quickly washing away.

Jenna's first instinct was that the girl was mocking her, just like how everybody else used to make fun of her hair for changing color. But there was something in the girl's genuine smile that made Jenna believe her with all her heart.

"Thank you," Jenna said gently, offering her a smile. "I'm Jenna."

"I'm Alice Fortescue," the girl introduced her, though her eyes were still fixed on Jenna's long and wavy blue hair.

Jenna's eyes flickered with happiness as she heard the familiar name. "Do you happen to be related to Florean Fortescue?"

"Of course." The girl giggled. "He's my uncle."

"Really!?" Jenna exclaimed, grinning. "My dad loves his ice cream shop in Diagon Alley! It's his favorite place in the world! His words, not mine."

"Ooh, that's wonderful!" Alice let out a happy sigh, clapping her hands together. "I'm sure my uncle would be very happy to know that."

Jenna chuckled, her laughter then fading into yet another calm smile. She already liked Alice Fortescue a lot.