XLVI. Subtle

• • • •

• • • •

After getting into an argument with Klaus and trying to take an invisible piece of white oak out of his back, Faith threw herself onto the couch near the fireplace. She narrowed her eyes on the smirking hybrid sitting across from him. She was still slightly mad at him for sending her a bunch of messages and she wasn't able to stay with Dani as much as she wanted to before she had to return to Mystic Falls.

"Oh, love," Klaus teased with a glass of alcohol in hand. "You know, you love me."

"I know," Faith agreed, "which makes me even more mad."

He chuckled and took out his phone to call his sister. "An update on our search for the exclusive cure."

Faith studied as Klaus stayed quiet for a bit before grinning. "Big brother," the hybrid said, immediately glancing at Faith. "At last you join the fray."

The siphoner's eyes widened and scrambled to get off the couch. With both hands on Klaus' shoulders and on her toes, she pressed her ear against the phone.

"Somebody had to take charge," she heard Elijah speak. "And now that I have, I've got the cure and I'm bringing it back to Mystic Falls."

"With a long list of demands, I assume," Klaus guessed.

"Not that long."

"Come home, brother. We'll settle this like family," Klaus said.

"And Faith," the siphoner spoke with a smile. "Can't wait to see you, Elijah."

"As do I," Elijah said before hanging up.

Klaus pocketed the phone and wrapped an arm around Faith, pulling back to the couch. The siphoner raised an eyebrow at the sudden action, but followed. Without a word, he laid on the couch with his head on Faith's lap.

"I'm sorry," he mumbled with his eyes closed.

Faith smiled. "It's fine. I'm sorry, too. I shouldn't have yelled at you, either."

• • • •

Blue eyes darted between the three siblings as Faith ate the food in front of her. "Elijah, being a human means a fresh start. I can grow old and have a family and fill my days with meaning, knowing that each one matters," Rebekah said her argument.

Klaus laughed to which Faith hit him on the shoulder with the back of her hand. "Well, that was poetic," the hybrid smirked.

"Well, if you can provide us with a more compelling reason for wanting the cure, Klaus, please," Elijah indulged.

"Silas can appear as anyone," Klaus said. "He got inside my thoughts, convinced me I was dying. He will torment me until I give him the cure."

"And in doing so he will break down the wall to the Other Side," Rebekah countered. "He will open the floodgates for every supernatural being that has ever died."

"Faith?" Elijah turned to the siphoner. "Do you have anything to say in this matter? Rebekah is your best friend and Klaus; your boyfriend."

Faith cleared her throat and looked at the Original. "I don't really care about the cure. And I wouldn't know who to choose if you're asking."

Rebekah and Klaus narrowed their eyes on the siphoner at her passiveness on the argument on who gets the cure. The siphoner only continued to stuff her face with food.

Elijah looked at his brother. "Your personal discomfort might not be sufficient reason for putting the entire world in jeopardy, Klaus. I think our sister deserves a shot at happiness."

A smile appeared on Rebekah's face as Klaus glared at his brother. "Tell me you're joking. Tell me you're not fating me to an eternity of torture."

"I made my decision," Elijah simply stated.

Swiftly, Klaus stood up and leaned down to speak into Rebekah's ear. "When you're sick and dying, and you beg for my blood, I will laugh in your face and compel you to forget me."

Faith clenched her jaw in annoyance. She resisted the urge to snap Klaus' neck at the moment, but she knew how the hybrid felt. She never saw him scared for his life until a few days ago when he thought a piece of white oak was still inside of him. Faith offered Rebekah a small smile after Klaus had left. "I'm going to go check on him. I'm glad you got what you want, Rebekah."

"Are you going to prom?" Rebekah asked as the siphoner stood up.

"No," Faith scoffed, amused. "They aren't my thing. Plus something always happens at those dances if you haven't noticed."

• • • •

It was late at night when Faith felt a tugging feeling in her gut. Like someone was trying to locate her through a spell. She rose from the bed, moving Klaus' arm off of her, and left the bedroom. She glanced back at the hybrid sleeping before closing the door behind her.

She walked down the hallway to an empty room. She grabbed candles, a needle, and a map. The siphoner sat in front of the map with four candles at each corner, holding the map down. She concentrated and the candles lit up.

The needle pricked her index finger and her blood spilled onto the map. She chanted under her breath with her eyes closed. Once the last word left her lips, she opened her eyes to see her blood had traveled to New Orleans on the map.

Quickly, she stood up and wrote on a piece of paper. She left the paper on the nightstand of Klaus' bedroom before she had disappeared from the bedroom and the town.

• • • •

With the night sky overhead, Faith walked around the French Quarter. It was only yesterday when she visited. Unexpectedly, she had met a young girl named Davina, a witch who Marcel had taken in. Of course, the siphoner had tried to kill her when she saw her playing with her daughter. In her defense, she had never met the girl.

Davina had already known Faith's signature magic as to not alert Marcel's army of vampires to go after her.

Making it to the end of the street, Faith walked into the still open Rousseau's. The bar she had met Marcel for the first time.

Her blue eyes observed the almost empty bar until her eyes fixated on a familiar-looking werewolf.

"Well if it isn't the werewolf skank," she smirked as she sat down next to Hailey.

The werewolf rolled her eyes at her. "And if it isn't the bitch who barely helped me with finding my parents."

Faith grinned at her. "You haven't looked hard enough. Not my fault you suck at finding things."

"Why are you here anyway?" Hailey asked. "Shouldn't you be in Mystic Falls with your immortal hybrid?"

Faith, subtlety, placed her hand on the werewolf's shoulder. "Don't worry, I'm leaving just checking up on some things around here."

She narrowed her eyes to the Deveraux sisters behind the bar. She faked a smile at them before getting to leave. "I hope you find your parents soon, Hailey."

"Thanks," she muttered before taking a sip of her drink which Jane-Anne had just placed in front of her.

"Leaving without drinking anything?" The witch asked the siphoner.

I don't like alcohol," Faith said.

She disappeared from her sight before she could say anything else.

• • • •
Next chapter will be the last one...