Chapter 12: Nightmare

'You TYRANT! You HYPOCRITEI NEVER should have helped you!'

'STOP!'

'All this strength you have now, you don't deserve ANY of it!

'STOP IT!'

'I wish I NEVER met you!'

'SHUT UP!'

'MAKE ME!'

'Monster.'

.

.

.

Sleep...

All John wanted was some sleep.

He yearned for the satisfaction of a night well rested.

Just a nice, comfy mattress, pillow tucked under his head and the curtains of his room drawn slightly so the faint moonlight could peek through. No stress. No school. Just peace, quiet and sleep.

If only that could become a reality.

Why couldn't John just instantly fall asleep the second his head hit the pillow?

All he wanted was one night without all these voices wailing in his head. Thanks to them, he couldn't sleep. He hasn't gotten a full night's rest in months. He was so damn tired and his insomnia wasn't cutting him a break anytime soon. Though, when has he ever gotten a break? His life was as complicated and insane as it could get. Why wouldn't his sleep schedule be absolute trash?

Besides, now that he had unwillingly taken control of the school, he found there was a lot more to worry about than his sleeping habits.

Running this school had been stressful. He never intended on taking the position as king but, thanks to Isen and his newspaper skills, he had been outed to the entire school. John didn't want the school or to run its chaotic system but truly, he had nowhere to hide and nothing left to lose at this point. 

He had already lost his copy of 'UnOrdinary,' his best friend, and his somewhat peaceful life. Why not add the remainder of his sanity to the list?

He currently had Cecile heading the school press again, which was already a huge risk with how she worked. Cecile was almost as cunning and manipulative as Arlo. Almost. Unlike Arlo, she didn't have the brain to back up her daring antics. 

John could see right through her and would have absolutely zero tolerance for her bullsh*t. If she stepped out of line or f*cked up once, she was out. End of story. That was the deal she had signed up for when she helped John. If she expected anything different, she was a fool and should have made wiser choices.

Speaking of choices, Remi and her ragtag team were opening 'The Safe House.' Students were now being given the option to join a club that would quote 'help everyone of all tiers get along and feel safe.' 

Oh, NOW they cared about the well-being of lower tiers?! Did they not see how suspicious this looked? Did they not think that he knew where this would lead? Just how stupid did they think he was?! John knew that with enough high tiers at the helm, they could easily convince students to try and gang up in an attempt to take him down. And John was not about to go through the New Boston incident again.