31: She's Gone

a/n:
•i was listening to thinking out loud by ed sheeran and it was just so perfect with this chapter. i recommend you listen to it too
•do yourself a favor and read till the end of the chapter
__

 i recommend you listen to it too•do yourself a favor and read till the end of the chapter__

~Jacob's pov~

*Two Weeks Later*

Flowers in hand, heavy heart, with a lump in my throat, and basically numb everywhere, the door opened when I pushed at it with my arm. The bed she once slept in was now empty and neatly made after they took her body away, making it more clear that she wasn't here anymore; looking at it made my eyes instantly water.

She's gone, though, and I wasn't there to help her and there was nothing I could do to bring her back to me and the ones that loved her. I told her I always would be there for her, through thick and thin. And I broke that promise in the worst way possible.

The atmosphere in the room was too unbearable and I needed to get out of here quickly. But it was no use, if I stood my knees would give out and the ground would disappear from under my feet.

Her laugh and smile would forever be engraved into my memory. Her eyes that always told the truth when she was lying. The way she always stood strong no mater the problem she was facing. The capability to have fun and make a joke after something bad had just happened. Give joy to others as she suffered all the while.

When I got the absolutely devastating news my stomach fell to the floor, taking my heart along with it. I didn't want to believe it. I hadn't been expecting the person to tell me that when I had picked up my phone with a chocolate in my hand after calming down about everything. It couldn't have been true. She's one of the strongest girls I have ever met, no matter her age, so she should have been able to pull through. Fight it. At least until I got there to say my final words.

I sighed, placing the flowers that I bought on the car ride over here on the bed, and digging my head into the heels of my palms. I made an inhuman noise that went something like "Agrc!" and paused before grumbling out a coherent sentence. "You can't be gone. Please." I was talking to myself. I was going mad.

Candy is an amazing ten year old little girl who was diagnosed with terminal cancer two years ago. I had met her when I was on my way to visit Mikayla when I found out she had woken up from the coma but for a minute before, unfortunately, going back to sleep; and I was passing by a room for kids to play games and talk, like a little hang out the hospital organized for them. She was walking out of the room to get some water from the water fountain and she bumped into my side. Candy lifted my spirits instantly and she became a little sister, not that I had a choice because she kept following me around even after numerous times of telling her she should go back to the room she came from.

She had grown on me so quickly, and now I wasn't sure if I was able to let her go.

A voice came from the door, startling me. "She was wonderful, wasn't she?"