Chapter 13

NAOMI'S POV:

Mr. Davis grounded me exactly nine days ago and, even though I was free to assume my normal schedule, I've made myself scarce lately. You would think that any teenager would be jumping-up-and-down after their punishment was over, but for me my punishment was replaced with a wave of depression. For the last two weeks I've been counting down the days like I normally would this time of year at home. I would be in our van on the way to the lodge, singing with my mom in the front seat and stopping every ten minutes for my brother to use the bathroom.

*Knock, Knock*

I shoved my calendar back into my desk drawer and returned my marker to my cup holder before calmly saying, "Come in."

Mr. Davis opened the door and stepped eagerly inside. I haven't spoken to him in almost four days and I've put my best efforts forward to make sure that I don't run into Mr. Patry either. But I'm sure that everyone in the Academy does that, even Mr. Davis even though he won't admit it.

"I haven't seen much of you lately." He said plainly.

"I haven't left my room lately, being grounded and all you know." I eyed at him.

He gave me a mocked smirk, "Those are the consequences that you brought on yourself."

I nodded my head, desperate to get out of this approaching conversation. I can only image what he wants to say.

"As you know, tomorrow most of the students will go home for the day for the holiday." He crossed his arms over his chest and leaned his shoulder against my wall. "Therefore, I think we should go get supplies and necessities for school since you'll be starting in early August."

I forgot all about that. Mr. Davis convinced me that it would be worthwhile to attend an early school program to help me adjust to the new surrounding and to get ahead in my academics. I was excited at first since it's a literature class, but now that it's practically on my shoulders I think I've changed my mind.

"What supplies?"

"What do you usually get every year for school?"

"Um, notebooks, pencils, highlighters, that's usually it." I looked around at my desk and noticed that I already have most of those things on hand.

"Well you don't have a bookbag and we also need to get clothes for your uniform."

"Uniform?" I asked shockingly.

"Yes," he smiled. "the school district in this area requires a uniform. All Braxton students who will be residing here during the school year are required to comply with the school dress code."

"Great." My shoulders had involuntarily slumped.

"Be ready in the morning by 10 a.m., we'll go to the mall and the plaza to get you what you need."

"Okay, thank you Mr. Davis."

I turned my head back to my desk, trying to hint that there was nothing more I wanted to say and nothing more I wanted to talk about.

"Goodnight then." He said awkwardly.

"Goodnight sir."'

________________________________________________

I woke up unexpectedly and not feeling any better than last night, it was as if my head was accusing me of not feeling sad enough about this week. So it decided to taunt me with an extra nudge of omission.  Looking over at my alarm, I realized that I have an hour before I have to meet Mr. Davis in his office.

"I guess I better get ready." I whispered to myself.

I grabbed my morning kit and headed straight to the bathroom to brush my teeth and splash my face with cold water to wake myself up. I hope my eyes won't be too noticeably red after struggling to clear my mind so I could sleep last night.