Chapter 1: Imagine Castle

Blinding white light cascaded into the forbidden library and obstructed Subaru's vision. He would have been startled if not for the soft feeling of a small hand grasping his. This had to be Beatrice's magic.

Beatrice: "I accept your proposition, I suppose. I would like to discuss the details of our contract, but it seems that our safety should be paramount."

Subaru: "Thank you Beako, I appreciate it."

Beatrice: "I-I am not doing this as a benefit to you. I just cannot allow my reputation to be besmirched by dying with you, in fact. What stories would develop if I allowed such a thing?"

With that statement, Beatrice pushed off from the ground with Subaru in tow. Subaru couldn't help but feel relieved that he was able to break through to Beatrice's heart. He gripped her hand a little tighter in return.

And so fate brings us to a fork in the road...

Subaru awoke to a beautiful blue sky. For a moment he was tempted to relax and enjoy the view, but the urgency of the situation started to seep in. As he started to jolt upwards, he realized that there was a slightly soft, if small, sensation under his head.

Subaru: "Beako?"

Beatrice: "Yes Su-subaru-u?"

Subaru: "I'll set aside the use of my name for later, the more pertinent question is where are we?"

Beatrice: "Ca-an we retire that question for a moment? I need time to formulate a proper answer. However, do not worry as I can assure you that the others are in no danger, I suppose."

Subaru: "Alright, as your contractor I trust you. Just one more question then?"

Beatrice: "At the least I can hear you out, I suppose."

Subaru: "Why are you giving me a lap pillow?"

Beatrice's legs went rigid and her lap started to warm up. Subaru could almost imagine the red that her face must be right now.

Beatrice: "W-why does that matter? You let the other residents of the mansion do this at their leisure. Are you to say that I am not fit to perform such a task? If anything you should be grateful that Betty would perform such a task for your pathetic self, in fact."

Subaru: "Calm down Beako, I didn't mean to sound like I was ungrateful. It is very comfortable."

Beatrice: "Erk!"

Subaru: "Beako?"

Beatrice: "Quiet! Quiet! Quiet!"

And so they stayed in that position for a time in silence. After what felt like an appropriate amount of time, Subaru slowly sat up. He viewed his surroundings for the first time. There was an expansive field of long green grasses blowing in a gentle wind. The sky was a calm blue and was filled with billowy white clouds. A small worn trail cut through the scene and upon following it with his eyes, Subaru noticed a small stone castle placed on an overlook.

Subaru: "Beako, are you ready to tell me where we are?"

Beatrice: "..."