CHAPTER 28

AZ
Song: Me, myself and I- G eazy ft Bebe Rexha.

Driving back home, I think about how eventful my weekend has been. I had planned to just be at home, or at the safehouse, to get high off weed and alcohol and to cry myself to sleep. I had planned to hug my own knees and drown in the reality of my life.

Kacely was there though, he helped me. When he knocked my door that first time, I didn't want to answer. I wanted to make him believe no one was there and to just leave me alone. But when he didn't stop, I told him to come in and I'm so fucking glad I did. He was there for me, he held me and comforted me in the very best way. He listened, he tried his best to get my mind off things even if it was in ways he didn't agree with.
He made the worst day of my life tolerable. It felt so much better to hug him than to hug a bottle.

I drive into the yard and park my car, I don't want to go out of my car yet. The only person who will probably be around will be Tabitha and I don't want to see her. I have nothing against her whatsoever but I'd rather just be alone right now. I need to just walk upstairs, get myself soaked in a hot tub and think of what could have been if my mom were here.

She would probably have taken me shopping, she might have bought me a cake or even made one herself or we could do it together. She would have held me and told me how I grew so fast and how much she loved me. I lean against the steering wheel and close my eyes. There's no problem in getting lost in my thoughts for a while, even though there is no point in doing so, I atleast have the right to wonder. I force myself out and climb the stairs when I notice that the wondering only adds salt to my bruises.

Reluctantly, I get in and lean my forehead against the door, eyes closed and drowsy. I should take along a bottle of whiskey from the bar, just to make it...

"Suprise!!!"

I tremble in fright and when I look behind me...

What the hell?

The living room is full of people, a few whose faces I can recognize but whose names I don't know at all. All I know is some of them are from RCC. Bryan and his stooges are even here as well.
There's a big banner that reads "Happy 18th Az!". It's all pink and purple and confetti and balloons and afro pop and I swear my head is spinning.

"Baby, where have you been? I called you so many times." Gramps says and pulls me into a hug.

Shura and Bryana push through the crowd head towards us.

"Happy birthday Azinwi! We made all this for you!" Shura says and hugs me too. I'm too underwhelmed to react.

"Happy birthday girl." Bryana beams. She's putting on a skintight blue dress which has crystals on the neckline. Shura has a leather skirt and crop top on along with a blue pair of stilettos. Everyone's so overdressed and flashy except for Gramps. He has his usual baggy shorts, turtle neck shirt and sneakers on. He still looks good, everyone but me does. I look like a street dancer who just stumbled into a fundraising ball while putting on this oversized hoodie and jean shorts.

"You look terrible Az!" Bryana comments, like she could read my thoughts and I roll my eyes.

"That's not a problem, we already got you a dress and shoes and there's even a make up artist who can take care of your face and hair." Shura tells me. "Come on"
She takes my hand and leads me upstairs, I'm too disappointed to fight her.

"You will love the dress Az, it's so beautiful!" Bryana yells and my headache instantly returns.
Shura opens the door on my room and my gaze immediately falls on the pale purple lacy dress displayed on a manniquine. The lacey material goes just slightly below the knees and there's a thicker and shorter material underneath. The cleavage is fluffy and has white beads below that go all round. It's spaghetti striped and is actually pretty easy on the eyes. It's bright colouring is a perfect contradiction of my present mood.