Chapter Two.

Evelyn stood in the wide hall with her head held high, Angela stood beside her. She was sad that Nora couldn't come with them, since she was having bad cramps. It saddened her greatly, since she enjoyed these formal parties because of Nora. In a place filled with fake smiles, which sometimes seemed stiff and forced, she enjoyed voicing out imaginary conversations with Nora.

"Good evening Mrs. Grayson." Evelyn smiled at Sofia Grayson, Carter's mom. "You're looking as gorgeous as ever." She wasn't lying, even though Sofia must be more than forty years old, she still looked thirty. She could see where Carter got his genes from.

Sofia chuckled. "Look at you, you look like such a darling tonight." She said patting Evelyn's hand. "I can already see all the people who're looking over here."

"Stop teasing me." Said Evelyn.

Sofia grinned, her gaze moved to Angela who stood beside her. "And this is?"

Evelyn gestured at the girl behind her. "This is my friend, Angela Sue."

"Hello Mrs. Grayson." Angela smiled shyly as she stretched her had for a handshake.

Evelyn then remembered that she hadn't informed Angela the etiquette to be followed in formal parties. When greeting, a lady isn't supposed to shake hands with another. Handshakes are only meant to close off a deal within these parties.

Sofia eyed the hand and slowly nodded at Angela. "Are you perhaps that daughter of the Su family?"

Angela retracted her hand awkwardly. "Su family?"

"No?" Said Sofia.

Felling the awkward atmosphere, Evelyn interjected, since she was the one who forced Angela to come. "No, Angela isn't from the Su family."

Sofia nodded. Her eyes drifting behind Angela. "Seems like Josephine is looking for m, I should be going now. Enjoy the party."

Evelyn turned to look behind her to find her mother waving at Sofia, when she caught Josephine's eyes, she smiled. Evelyn's mother was a dermatologist, in fact she was one of the best in the city, one has to make appointments weeks before they could visit.

"Did I do something wrong?" Angela asked timidly, biting into her trembling lips after Sofia left.

"No, I'm sorry for not informing you." Evelyn explained Angela about what had previously happened.

Looking dejected, Angela looked down at her hands. "I'm sorry."

"No, it wasn't your fault." After consoling Angela she dragged her over to the buffet, which were mostly empty of people. "Let's eat something, I'm famished." She wasn't though, because she had eaten before leaving for the party, but the desserts looked too good to be ignored.

Evelyn placed a bite size piece of blueberry cheesecake, which stated that it was low on fat and as she was about to pick a chocolate mousse she saw Carter who was wearing a fine black suit.

The first time Evelyn had confessed to Carter it was a week after he had broken up with his girlfriend, she had done it in a moment of impulse. It was midnight and Evelyn switched her phone off after texting about her feelings before going to sleep, which she was unable to. The next day, she woke up after falling asleep at some point and after a long pep talk, she turned her phone back on to find Carter's reply.