Chapter 82

~Her Backer~

"What exactly are you trying to do?" The chill in Oris' voice was vicious enough to make the eunuchs know that they had been caught red-handed, guilt flooded their formerly blank expressions but before anything else could said there was a ruckus outside.

"Who dares disobey the order of the Young Miss?" someone yelled.

Mayree frowned and leaned towards her mistress to whisper, "That seems to be the lady-in-waiting of the Lady Anastasia. Her first rank maid. Perhaps. . ."

Perhaps that person is determined to end Seline's life today, Oris completed the sentence in silence. Outwardly, her face showed no change but her grip on Mayree's hand tightened.

"You," the first rank maid charged into the woodshed with a group of others and the already small space shrunk even more, "who are you?"

Now, Oris turned towards the disturbance, her gaze drifting over the scowling maid and proud-faced matron that stood beside her. The rest of the servants could simply not enter her eyes.

No matter how many people were here, she was taking Seline away. On this one thing, she could not compromise.

Seeing this scene now, she realized that Seline must have heard something that should not be heard. Why else would this Anastasia be so eager to dispose of her?

You four have suffered for me, she looked at Seline, her gaze spilling with affection, thank you.

"Why did you stop beating?!" The maid took advantage of Oris' distraction to chastise the eunuchs, reminding them that her mistress was more powerful than this woman that stood in front of them. The glint in their eyes returned and one of them—eager to please and be rewarded—raised his staff and struck down with all his strength...

The sound of wood slapping flesh echoed through the small room, but this killing blow didn't land on Seline.

"Mistress!" Andrea cried out but Oris' countenance remained the same. Her eyes stayed clear, with only a slight hint of pain diluting them.

The hand that had taken the hit of the staff wrapped around its girth and pulled it from the grip of the stunned eunuch. "You dare?"

The other eunuch trembled, he and his staff fell to the ground.

Oris paid no attention to them, loosening her cloak and draping it over Seline with her uninjured hand. That spurred everyone else into action.

Andrea and Keziah took Seline off bench and cradled her body between them.

At the same time, the first ranked maid took a step forward. "My Young Miss said—"

Oris swung the staff and the maid fell to her knees instinctively, letting it pass harmlessly over her head. It hid the doorframe of the shed with a terrifying bang. "I am still ranked in the Emperor's Selection, where did a maid get the gall to speak directly to me?"

On hearing 'the Emperor', the other servants and the matron fell to their knees suddenly remembering who truly ruled the palace.

This time, there was no benevolence in Oris' gaze. She could not allow nonsense to be spoken when Seline's life was still on the line. If she had known that things would be this bad, she would have let the physician accompany her.

"You dare hit my person," she said resolutely, "this humble one has no choice but to ask the Empress Dowager to judge this matter."

As though she had heard the most relieving words, the maid's fear slowly dissipated. Her frown eased up. "This servant only punished an unruly maid. It is proper law. This servant is not afraid to be questioned."