𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐫𝐭𝐲 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

I had never seen the Slytherin common room this lively before. It was buzzing with life and people from all four houses had shown up; even if Malfoy wasn't particularly happy about it.

The three of us had now split up and wandered into the crowd of people, gathered in different groups. I spotted two redheads, the same height, laughing in the corner of the room and I concluded that if I wanted to have a good night, these two were the ones to be around.

"Fred. George."

"Y/N!" the two of them turned around.

"Care for a drink?"

"Sounds lovely." I smiled and George charmed a tall, flute glass into my hand, making me flinched slightly. "Champagne? Didn't think you two could be this classy."

"We can be."

"When we want to be." 

"Cheers." I said and the three of us lifted our glasses to the air, "to 1995."

"To 1995!" they said in unison and there was a ping when the glasses clinked together.

"I suspect you two have organised some amazing firework display for midnight?"

"Well of course."

"Who else?"

"I'm looking forward to it. I'll see you boys later. Maybe even next year?" the three of us shared a moment of laughter before I made my way back into the crowd of glee and giggles, constantly debating who I should talk to for the rest of the year. It was around ten to twelve and I therefore had ten minutes to make conversation with whoever I thought best. 

I could go back to the twins? Although it would be awkward if I were to walk over there after I had just left them alone. Spencer was too busy flirting with Adrian I suspected and I'm pretty sure Ava would find her way to George at some point tonight. 

Just when I thought I could have died due to how uncomfortable I felt standing in the middle of the clump of dancers by myself, I felt a light tap on my shoulder and I rotated to see the best possible person in the room to talk to.

"Hey."

"Oh uh hi Ced." I beamed a smile back.

"Having fun?"

"Yeah. Trying to at least. It's quite hard when you have no one to spend new years eve with. Plus, parties aren't really my scene."

He chuckled, "I know. That's why I asked if you were going to be here tonight. I knew you weren't exactly one for a party, so I wasn't sure you were planning on coming."

"Ah. I guess you know me quite well then."

"Guess I do. But I'm glad you came. Anyway, you've got me to talk to now." he hesitated for a moment, "obviously unless you didn't want to."

"Oh no, no, yeah. I think it's about time we caught up. So, any progress on the egg?"

"Honestly, none. I was actually hoping, cause you know, you helped me a lot on the first task, if you wouldn't mind helping me with this one? I think Krum might have already figured it out and I could do with a breakthrough."

"Oh yeah, of course I can. Just let me know."

"Great, thanks. I really appreciate it. I've-"

And suddenly he was interrupted by the chants of the crowd around us.

"10. 9. 8. 7. 6..."

I looked up at Cedric and smiled, as the shouts continued.

"4. 3. 2. 1!" there was a moment of applaud and cheers, "HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

Cedric and I began slow clapping, still quite surprised by the time and the fact the countdown had began already. That's when it started. The awkwardness between us sky rocketed as all the couples and even duos not in a relationship did the tradition of kissing someone at midnight and soon, it felt like we were the only ones not in an embrace. I caught him staring sheepishly down at me as I tried to ignore the silence and avoid the inevitable eye contact.

But something in me, snapped. But not snapped. Like repaired? It was impulse thing, but one I was actually quite proud of. In the moment of the new year, I cupped his cheek and reached my face to his, and pressed my lips against his perfect ones; my feet on the tips of my toes. And I couldn't help my smile from forming on my beaming face. There was not only fireworks lighting up the night sky, but ones in my stomach. But they had been re-lit. Like magic. 

His lips were warm, just like I remembered they were. They tasted of a mix of champagne and mint, like the gum I always see him chewing. The kiss obliterated every thought I had. For the first moment in a long time, my mind was locked into the present. The worries of the day evaporated like a puddle in the sun. A kiss like this was the beginning of a promise and I hoped, much more to come.

Now, we were the only ones, still in an embrace. I think I heard some whistles from the background of the party, but we were the only ones in the room in my eyes. 

I pulled away, but only slightly, and our foreheads touched, resting against each other for comfort. I had my hand resting on his chest; his heart beating out of it. I had put it there originally to push away, but I couldn't bring myself to do it; I didn't want to lose him.

He grabbed my hand and entwined our fingers, as he whispered in my ear to follow him to a window. We made our way through the endless crowd and reached a large, glass window at one end of the common room; a perfect view of the fireworks, that were still lighting up the sky with their mesmerising brightness. They burst through the dark night, fiery blooms of sparkle amongst the stars. I felt my face light up, as I rested my head on his shoulder, our fingers still linked. 

"Happy new year Ced."

"Happy new year, Y/N."

I stared back at the show in the sky, like a picturesque real life photograph.

This. This was the perfect way to start a new year. 

•·················•·················•

to my gays, women and people of colour, good luck today babes. my fingers are crossed for you. i just hope that most of the country have come to their senses for today and voted joe.

if not, the uk is always open :)
fuck trump.