Chapter 7: Escort

The young boy and girl had crossed their arms as the mission started. It almost felt like a babysitting mission, but retreating back into Marley felt much more difficult. A twist on caring for the young teens. 

Retreating onto the boat back to Marley for the secret mission, there were unexpected flags being risen as you arrived on the dock. Connie, Jean, and Niccolo were lying in wait. There were a few angry glares from them all, but nevertheless, hating the fact to watch you and Sasha go. It seems that they haven't seen faces of their comrades lately. 

"Where are you going with those kids?" Jean asked, pointing towards Falco and Gabi. 

"Taking them back to Marley." You say sternly, remembering what the commander had asked of you. "The commander and captain asked us to take them back as our mission while they plan on the island. What are you guys doing here?"

Jean gave a heavy sigh, avoiding to look at Sasha. "We heard something on our end about those kids you have there... and we were just curious."

"Commander Hanji said that you guys were doing something-" Sasha was cut off by Niccolo; he didn't speak up or anything. Just the smell of him unravelling his sandwich seemed to have sway the unpredictable Sasha Braus. "I-Is that...?! What I think it is?!" Her excitement seems to have been... untamable...

Niccolo nodded his head, taking a whiff of it. "Do you like the smell of it, Sasha? I have a spare one in my bag if you want. Might as well do so- who knows when you'll eat something good before reaching Marley, huh?"

That's when he reached into his bag and gave her a wrapped sandwich. Sasha gave some words of joy and glee; restraining herself to eat that sandwich right away took a lot of courage. There was a tang of jealousy- you didn't offer anything to Sasha... but she did owe you some meat for that failure of a race...

"So then- we'll see you weeks from now?" Jean asked, chuckling as his hands were firmly on his hips. "It's gonna be lonesome without you guys-"

"Yeah! Especially you, Sasha." Connie barged in, as per usual. "We'll chat back when you come back, okay?"

Giving that beautiful smile of hers, Sasha gave a nod and a thumbs up. "Of course! See ya later!"

Sasha took off with the two young kids, acting so childishly. Perhaps we all had some sort of child-like place in our hearts... some people grow out of it faster than some. Some, like Sasha, are still in that phase. Almost like they were hesitant to leave that stage in life. After everything that went on in this life, maybe being childish should be a bit nice.

*   *   *

Onboard the boat, you caught Sasha standing near the edge of the boat. The two teens were sitting down, clenched fists. A common sign when it came to being in trouble. You were sure they were familiar with being caught in the act- punishment being established within seconds. You turned your attention away and back to Sasha. 

A weary mask sat over her once beautiful face. Clouded with worry, her eyes that used to have child-like aspects seem to be hidden. Approaching her, Sasha turned and gave a weakened smile. "Hey, (y/n)..."

You waved your hand, standing close to her as the view of Paradis Island soon began to leave. "What's wrong, Sasha? You were so happy earlier- what happened in those mere minutes?"

Sasha turned her face away, back to the fading island. "Well... nothing, it's nothing. Just... something in my mind I can't seem to push away. Whenever I try to forget about it, my heart just... I always come back to that topic. And no matter what, it won't stop haunting my mind. I'm afraid of making the wrong choice..."

Your itching hand twitched as your eyes laid on her hand. Taking a heavy sigh, you reached for her hand. A successful mission, it was. She didn't jerk her hand away- it stayed there, like she needed that support. You began to speak of your advice- almost as wise as an owl.

"Remember what Captain Levi used to tell Eren? Something about no regrets. Choosing what we want and don't regret it later."

"Ah- but I will regret it later if I choose wrong!"

"Then... I don't know what to say except... go with your heart. Thinking about the consequences will hurt you more than what you chose. Worry about the future and not the past. The past is behind us, that I'll admit. So now... I look forward to the future." You almost mouthed the words: "I look forward to the future with you."

Hearing your words, Sasha seemed to have gone deep within thought. Then, her bright smile soon bounced back to life. "You're right... I shouldn't worry tonight. Though, I'll take a nap and think about it."

"May I ask what you're stuck on?"

Graceful hands waved in front of her face. Her face twisted into this confusing mask- you knew she was hiding something from you. But what it was will remain as a mystery. A mystery that you won't dare solve. Girls always seem to have the idea of mysterious seems to be the way to go. But of course, not all girls are complex like that.

"It doesn't concern you, (y/n)! Well- I'm heading down to sleep! Take care!" 

And off she walked...