chapter 5

after two weeks full of (awful) exams, we've finally reached the last one. last monday we had our charms written and practical, followed by our transfiguration exams tuesday, herbology wednesday, DADA thursday, and i had ancient runes and arithmancy friday. every night, we all stayed up in the common room, looking over notes and quizzing each other for the next days exam. all weekend, i hole myself up with draco in our small corner of the library, studying for the potions written exam monday. sunday night, we were patrolling the halls when draco said he had a surprise.

"this way" he said, pulling me down a separate hallway

"this isn't our section draco-"

"god you're so boring" he sneered, rolling his eyes at me, "i swear one more second with you-"

"i'm coming, i'm coming" i laughed, speeding up and hitting his back. he looked back at me and smirked, slowing down to walk next to me.

he brought me down to the dungeons, leading me towards snapes classroom. his smirk widened, as he pulled a set of keys out of his robe pocket.

"draco-!"

"sh" he smiled, pushing in the key and opening door. he pulled me inside with him leading me back into the store room. he stayed up helping me mix potions, practicing all of the ones we thought might come up on the practical the next day. it was prefect.

the next day were the potions exams. thanks to all of draco's help, i actually felt really confident going in, and left the exam with a smile on my face.

tuesday we had care of magical creatures in the afternoon (i also had muggle studies that morning), and wednesday was jam packed; with our written astronomy exam in the morning, divination in the afternoon, and the astronomy practical at night. by today, our final day, we're in history of magic. the exam is awful, with lots and lots of long, written answers.

describe the circumstances that led to the formation of the international confederation of wizards and explain why the warlocks of liechtenstein refused to join

i raise my eyebrows at the page, staring blankly at the question. draco and i really shouldn't have skipped binn's class so often. i shake my head, turning over the page.

in your opinion, did wand legislation contribute to, or lead to better control of, goblin riots the eighteenth century?

i'd forgotten those riots even happened. i look around the room hopelessly, seeing draco a few rows ahead of me writing furiously on his page. i look back down at my paper, trying to think of any laws we learned about from that time period.

"AGHHHH!"

a scream rips through the room, and all heads turn towards the noise. it's from a few rows behind me and a couple columns over. it's harry. he's writhing on the ground, his desk knocked over as he holds his head, screaming like a maniac. other's begin to shout, some getting out of their seats and yelling at the examiners to go check on him. the teachers go rushing over, holding harry up as he snaps out of it, still clutching his scar and shouting in agony. i sit, shell-shocked in my seat, staring towards him. i look back over my shoulder, towards where draco's seated. he's staring at harry, his face gone completely white. i think back to the letter... it'll happen two weeks from today.

it's happening. whatever lucius was warning draco about, this is related.

they pull harry out of the room, and a few of the examiners yell at us to get back to work. draco starts to turn in his seat, and he meets me eyes. we stare at each other for a moment a heavy sense of understanding hanging between us. i see him take a deep breath, turning away from me and back to his work.