✹one✹

The moment Rhena was brought out of her mother's womb, she was loved by all who crossed her path. Her brother Rhaegar, vowed to always protect her, though he was only five at the time. Aerys was happy enough, he had wanted a girl to marry off to Rhaegar, and Rhena had come at the perfect time. Though he did not treat her like a daughter, she still grew under his teaching and guidance. By her eighth birthday, Aerys was already talking of marrying her to Rhaegar, though the prince had somehow convinced his father to forget the idea, saying that they needed more allies in the kingdoms. The king agreed and the only other princess in Westeros was Elia Martel of Dorne. An engagement was soon made and an alliance between the crown and Dorne followed.

Rhena continued to grow alongside her wild brother who taught her the ways of the sword and her graceful mother who taught her the ways of the mind. She was loved by the people, who were oppressed and starved under her father, but they loved Rhena, she was the flower of the dragon house and she bloomed and spread her kindness and love through her people. Doing so, she saved her father some rebellions.

Tywin Lannister, always the man to think of the future, introduced his family to the Targaryens, hoping to win an engagement and alliance for at least one of his children. Unfortunately for him, Rhaegar was already promised to Elia Martel so Cersei could not marry up into being queen, but Rhena remained unclaimed, so he put his hope and faith in Jaime who would become the lord of Casterly Rock with a woman of great blood next to him.

Although Jaime had guessed his father's plan, he became great friends with the princess, and he spent many months back and forth in between Casterly Rock and King's Landing. Cersei, however, did not share her brother's affections for the white haired princess. She loathed her, though Rhena had never done anything to make her

On her fifteenth birthday, her father held a ball, for her and for her brother who was meeting his betrothed for the first time. Rhena had heard rumors of the Dornish beauty and was elated that she would finally meet her. Rhaegar didn't have any wish to though, he had only agreed to the marriage simply because he was repulsed by the idea of marrying his sister, not because he wanted to marry Elia, but because he didn't want to further the Targaryen name by more incest.

That's where they stood now, at the gates of the Red Keep, waiting for the next piece of the Targaryen future. Rhena wore a dark red dress as her father had instructed to match their house colors, the only thing separating her from the Lannisters who stood somewhere in the crowd of lords and ladies, was the black stitching of dragon wings at the hem. They awaited the Dornish princess and her family silently, tuning out the cheers of the crowds around them. Rhaegar stood to her left and her father stood on Rhaegar's other side, with Rhena and Aerys' left. Rhaella stood next to her husband with their baby brother Viserys in her arms. They were beyond regal, their hair, all the same shade of white flowed gently in the breeze and their purple watch saw everything.

A dark carriage and rows of soldiers and household workers made their way up the winding marble pathway and once they made their stop Rhena was bouncing lightly on her feet. She only stopped when her father sent her a warning glance. When he did, she heard a laugh behind her. She turned around and found Jaime with his hand over his mouth, trying to silence his giggles. Rhena grinned at him and raised an eyebrow when his own father scolded him. Cersei rolled her eyes slightly at her twin's behavior and sent a scowl in Rhena's direction before slipping back into her easy smirk.

A hush fell upon the courtyard as Elia stepped out onto the white stone and then all together let out a sort of sigh of contentment. The princess was beautiful, her hair was a rich chocolate and her eyes were a pale amber, brought out by her light yellow dress which complimented her dark skin. Rhaegar put on an easy smile, though Rhena could tell that it was fake. She was glad that he at least tried to make the best of a forced situation and found herself happy, for the time being.

Elia and her brother who had accompanied her to King's Landing made their way to the royal family, flanked by guards in light desert clothing. They bowed to the king and queen and sent polite smiles to the prince and princess. Rhaegar stepped forward and greeted them with a smile, as he was the eldest.

"Prince Oberyn, I was not aware that you were traveling with your sister. I'm sure a familiar face will do her well during her stay here." The crowned prince said. Oberyn smiled as well and bowed his head.

"Your hospitality is much appreciated your highness." He said. "May I introduce my sister, Elia Martell." Prince Oberyn said with a brighter smile as he turned to his sister. Elia curtsied and placed her hand in Rhaegar's outstretched one. He planted a gentle kiss on her knuckles and smiled kindly.

"My lady, I'm so glad that you have traveled all this way, you must be exhausted, if you wish, you can rest in your chambers before the ball, my sister will show them to you. " He said while straightening, gesturing to Rhena who had stepped forward next to her brother.

"Thank you, Prince Rhaegar." Princess Elia said with a smoother voice, before turning to Rhena with a smile. "Princess Rhena, a pleasure to meet you." She said with a deep curtsy.

"The pleasure is all mine." Rhena said. "If you and your brother will follow me, I'll show you to your rooms. They'll be right next to ours and the Lannister's." she said gesturing to the group of lions who watched silently. Tywin bowed his head in respect when they passed and Jaime slipped an envelope in Rhena's hand without anyone taking notice. Rhena smiled slightly and threw a glance over her shoulder to her friend who just smiled back. "To the right..."

They continued their travel and conversation up into one of the tallest towers of the Red Keep which housed the royal family and their most honored guests which were right now, the Martells and the Lannisters. When they reached the top, Rhena was in need of a foot rub, as she was wearing her heeled slippers opposed to her soft deerskin boots that she usually wore accompanied by white trousers and a red tunic.

"Thank you, your highness," Elia said with an almost sad smile. Rhena knew that her brother did not wish to marry, but that did not mean that the younger Targaryen would not make up for it.

"Please, no need for titles, you may simply call me Rhena." The girl said with an easy, true smile. The other princess smiled back at her and nodded.

"Then I must insist you call me Elia." The two young princesses grinned at each other and separated. Now that Elia was situated comfortably in her rooms, Rhena retreated to hers, the envelope in her hand burning a hole of curiosity in her mind.