forty-six || runners, take your mark

the song for this chapter is "Icky Thump," by The White Stripes :)

***********

Icky thump
With the lump in my throat
Grab my coat
And I was freaking
I was ready to go

***********

Harry

   It had been one week since Tate and I decided that we were going to make a run for it. Poor Abel had been working on the fake software morning and night, trying to perfect it, and he finally did. 

  Just as I had predicted, Whit was more than happy when I informed him that we would be done earlier than expected. I couldn't deny that the lies I had been feeding him over the last week left a bad taste in my mouth, but I knew that I had to do it. 

   Maybe one day he would learn to forgive me, but I had to learn to live with it even if he didn't.

    Tate and I already had everything that we needed to be packed ready, prepared to leave at a moment's notice. 

    I knew that it would probably take them at least a day to figure out that the software was fake, which gave Tate and me plenty of time to get on our flight to Spain. 

    If I didn't have the job that I have, I'd be a lot more nervous about this. But going off the radar for me was like second nature. I was used to not only killing people face to face, but also doing it behind the scenes, or making it look like an accident.

    The people who would come after us may be able to. find us eventually, but I'll make sure to give them a damn hard time in doing so.

       Today was the day that this shitshow was supposed to go down. Everyone at the Fort was buzzing with excitement, and Abel and I were playing the part perfectly. Even Tate managed to keep her calm cool and collected aura as she sat at the conference table with us while we waited for Whit and Grayson, lazily pushing her foot off the ground to swivel back and forth in the chair. 

   I told Abel that he could let Niall in on what was going on once Tate and I had already left. As much as I didn't want to, I was holding off on telling Will. After the confrontation he had with Tate on the plane, my guard still remained up. 

   Abel had run a few mock tests and used it to hack into some petty accounts and shown Whit, and that was all he needed to see. He trusted Abel with everything, so he had no reason to start doubting him now.

    The doors to the conference room swung open, revealing the smug faces of Whit, Grayson, and James, and they all strode into the room, swinging their arms and looking as though they were on top of the world.

    "Good morning gentleman, and women," Whit quipped, nodding his head towards Tate.

 She gave him a lazy half-smile and threw up a peace sign in response. 

   Neither of the men sat down, as it was nearly time for us to leave, we had just been waiting for their commands.

 "Okay, so, everyone familiar with the plan? Grayson goes to meet with Quinton, and while James, Tate, Niall, and I wait in the cars, Harry, Will, and Abel will go in to install the software. And then, we get the hell out of there," Whit spoke, and all of us nodded in agreement. 

      Grayson cleared his throat and we all turned to him.

 "I would just like to thank all of you for your assistance in this matter. I know we all are looking forward to looking past our differences in order to take down that bastard Beck. It has been a pleasure working with you all," he spoke.