Chapter 42

A few days later on my way to Charms class I unfortunately bump into the Weasley twins.

"Ah Ev-" starts Fred.

"-just the champion we were looking for." George smirks at me.

I quickly duck to side, trying to escape them, but Fred reaches his long arms out and grabs my waist. "Not so fast." He whispers in my ear making a shiver go down my spine. I hated that he made me feel like that.

"You can't still be mad is darling." George smirks yet again at me.

"I am. You two can't just go dosing drinks with Firewhiskey and not tell everyone." I cross my arms and pull out of Fred's grasp.

The two look at each other before responding. "Fine. We apologize, and we'll make it up to you. Anyone you want pranked-"

"-we'll do it. Just say the word."

"I don't know-"

"Oh come on Ev," whines Fred. "We've missed you. Lee has too, so are you going to forgive us or not."

I sigh, as much as I am annoyed with them poisoning the hot chocolate I missed the twins and Lee as well. "Ugh fine. But you two better not pull anything like that again, or next time me puking on your shoes won't be the worst thing to happen to you two."

The redheads smirk at me, and I just roll my eyes while leaving them to make my way next to Laurie in Charms.

"Kala's luck," I whisper to Laurie, "I would love to have a free period right now."

"She is, but I heard Flitwick has something important to tell us." But the lesson goes by slowly with no important news, and I find myself drifting off as Flitwick continues his lectures.

"Pay attention! Miss Black especially you! On Christmas Day we will be hosting the Yule Ball. It is a traditional part of the Triwizard Tournament, and you will be expected to wear dress robes. There will be a feast and you will get to invite partners. Because the Yule Ball, is a dance."

Laurie perks up at the the mention of a dance, but I just sink into my chair. I have never danced in my life— John had never even brought me to a dance class as child— and I certainly didn't have time to learn now."

"Miss Black." Flitwick calls me to his desk away from the other students. "Triwizard champions are expected to dance with their partners in the opening dance."

"What? Professor-"

"There's no debating this Miss Black. We will be having dance lessons if you need them. Now hurry along you don't want to miss your next class."

My next classes go quick, but unfortunately I can't seem to drown out the talk of the Yule Ball. I'd rather fight a dragon again to let everyone watch as I trip over my feet.

"-will you go with me?" I finally tune back in as Kala smiles at Luna looking afraid she would say no.

"Yes." Luna's smile is larger and more radiant than normal.

I sit down next the smiling couple glumly as they kiss and hug. "Oh don't get all glum because I got a date before you." Kala smirks at me as I shove food in my mouth.

"Shut it. And you basically already had one since you two are dating."

"Oh don't worry Eva. Fred will ask you soon-"

"No Kala you know that, it's never going to happen." I glare at her.

"Are you sure? Turn around?"

I whip around to see Fred and George standing there. "If it isn't our little champion." George winks at me before sitting down and starting to eat some of my food.

"Hey-"

"Say Ev, we heard a rumor that the champions have to go dance in front of everyone."

"Don't remind me, and please just help yourself." I groan as George takes pastry from my hand.

George just winks at me and walks away leaving Fred to take his seat. My stomach swirls in anticipation. Is he going to ask me to the Ball?

"If you ever need dance lessons you can ask George and I." He pauses for a moment. "Well maybe just George. It seems like he got all the dancing genes. Bye Ev."

I sigh loudly and start to take food off Kala's plate whose too busy being all cute and coupley with Luna. As I shove more food into my mouth, eating away my feelings two very excited girls and one tired Ivan make their way over.

"Hey Ivan, Fleur. Laurie." Kala greets with a thin smile.

"I got a date!" Laurie screams loudly making almost half the Great Hall turn our way. "He's this really cute Slytherin. He's a year younger and I'm pretty sure he's only going with me because I'm a pureblood." We both glance at each other quickly at the sound of her lie. "But good thing is I'm over Cedric."

"Oh good ven I can go with Cedreec." Fleur smiles to herself while Laurie tries not to look fazed.

"What about you Ivan? Ask anyone yet?" Luna calls dreamily from the other end of the table.

"Oh no, not yet. I was er...just wondering if, Eva you would meet me later to talk?" My stomach drops. Did he want to go to the Ball with me? Of course I would love to have Ivan as my partner, but only as a friend. And I really hoped he didn't like me like that.

"Of course. How about before curfew."

The rest of classes and dinner go by quickly and leave me with plenty of homework like normal. About thirty minutes before curfew, like planned, I go and meet Ivan.

"Hey Ivan." I call to the Durmstrang boy who looked nervous sitting outside the kitchens.

Ivan's POV

"Hey Eva." I say lightly while standing up to join her. Words couldn't describe how nervous I am right now. "So...Eva you've been a good friend to me. When you asked about Remus and I didn't want to tell you, you were so kind and didn't ask again."

I take a long deep breathe and try not to look her in the eye, knowing I would break down if I did.

"You can obviously see that me and my brother don't have much of a relationship and I...I want to tell you why because I think I can trust you."

I take another deep breathe and try to steady my shaking hands. "Around the time that Remus was coming to Durmstrang to try and get a job, Victor...had just seen me kissing another boy in the hallway. Victor told our parents and-well none of them are very open minded. It didn't matter that I like girls and boys...just having an attraction to the same gender is too much for them."

I didn't realize I was shaking so badly until Eva gently took my hand into hers and guided me to a bench while I continue.

"They were going to disown me...but Remus he convinced them not to. I stayed in London for a few years, being homeschooled by some family friends while my parents and Victor have been trying to be more excepting. I even cam back to Durmstrang and our home this year..."

I stop talking when I realize tears are flowing down my cheeks. I don't know if it's from the pain of my past or if it's from the happiest of finally being able to talk to someone about it. Either way I'm just glad I have Eva.

Sorry this chapter was a little late. Also thank you guys again for all the support for this fic!