Chapter 1 - Please turn around!

Gideon POV

Gideon POV

Here I am at the university gate, waiting for my best friend. His full name is Markus Evan Wayne, but he prefers to be called Mew. It is the combination of all the initials of his name. It is long because, according to his parents, they could not decide what to name him when he was born.

Marcus is the name that Uncle Luke chose for him, while Evan is the name that Auntie Vanessa chose.  Wayne is the name of Uncle Luke's father. So, in the end, to avoid conflict. They combined all of them and used it as Marcus's name. I remember how my best friend constantly complains about how hard it is to write his full name.

I'm waiting for Marcus because we are going to his parent's house. After all, his mom wanted me to be there. They are celebrating their 30th Anniversary, which I gladly agree to attend. I feel comfortable with them not only because they treat me like their own already, especially Auntie Vanessa.

I remember her saying she promised on my mother's grave that she would always take care of me and act like my mom from the day my biological parent died and left me. I can see and feel how much that family loves me.

She has acted as my mom ever since, maybe because she saw her eldest son, Luke Andrew, on me. I remember calling him Drew, but I don't remember his face anymore. She's not saying it herself, but I know how much she misses her eldest child. I can't tell the whole story of why Drew was like a stranger to them because they look like a perfect family to me.

I remember there would always be a fight between Drew and Uncle Luke or Marcus. It's been years since I last saw him. I was still in elementary school when I last saw Drew, but I don't know his face now. It's blurry to me whenever I try to remember his face. It's my disability!

I had this thing that it's tough for me to recognize faces, especially those I do not see so often. I frequently disappoint people, and they think of me as someone who is a snob and arrogant because of it.

The last time I heard about him, he was living with his Grandparents, but I didn't know where he was now because Marcus's grandparents had already died. I don't hear any news of him from his family anymore. They seem to avoid talking about him, especially Uncle Luke and Marcus.

I feel so sad for Auntie Vanessa because I know how much she misses her son. I remember going to her room to console her whenever Uncle Luke or Marcus fought with Drew. I feel her pain. She doesn't want to choose a side, so all she can do is cry, which makes Uncle Luke and Marcus angrier at Drew because they blame him for it.

But despite all the fights Marcus had with his brother. They may seem to hate each other equally, but I saw how hurt he was during those times. Marcus doesn't want to admit it, but I know their differences. I know Marcus still loves and misses Drew. How can Marcus not? He is still his brother!

It's been years since Andrew left. I want to be there for Marcus. I want to be his companion again, just like before, but since Allyssa came into the picture, it's been hard for me to be like that to him. It's like there was a wall between my best friend and me. He and I started to drift away from each other, and I didn't know how to fix it or if I could even try to fix it.