Chapter 9

The second there was a break after Molly Weasley's impeccable roast dinner and before dessert could be brought to the table, Hermione cast a very significant look down the table at Ginny.

She and Ginny didn't even bother coming up with a pretense for why they both needed to leave the table and go to the pantry off the Burrow's kitchen at the same time. Hermione merely jerked her head toward the kitchen and Ginny dutifully followed.

"Ginny, if I tell you something, will you promise to keep it between us for now? And to also not get protective or mad or—"

"Hermione is someone threatening you?"

"What, no!" Hermione sputtered in confusion.

"Oh, good, so then this is love-life stuff." The red-head's expression immediately brightened as Hermione goggled at her.

"No! Why are danger and sex always your first two assumptions?"

"Because they're the most exciting?"

Hermione giggled at her friend's earnest enthusiasm but then sobered quickly as she edged closer to divulging her whereabouts Friday night.

"Hermione," began Ginny gently, sensing her friend's hesitation. "You can tell me anything, you know. Harry and the rest of the family don't need to be involved in your personal business unless you choose to involve them. How can I help?"

Hermione took a steadying breath, but then the words still tumbled inelegantly out of her mouth in a rush. "IhaddinnerwithMalfoylastFridaynight."

Ginny's jaw dropped. "In whatever you just mumbled at me, I heard the words 'dinner' and 'Malfoy' which leads me to conclude that YOU WENT ON A DATE WITH HIM!?"

In the resounding silence that followed the shouted end of Ginny's question, Hermione cringed as she heard a fork drop to the table in the adjacent dining room. Hermione shot her friend a glare and Ginny had the good grace to finally look embarrassed as she clapped her hands over her own mouth.

Hermione rolled her eyes and cast a quick Muffliato in the direction of the pantry door. "It was not. A. Date." Hermione ground out dangerously. If this was how Ginny reacted to a simple dinner out with Malfoy, then how on earth was Hermione supposed to divulge she'd also be attending a ballet with the man in February?

Ginny lowered her hands, grinning sheepishly. "I'm sorry, I went full Ron there, didn't I?"

Hermione sighed and covered her face in her hands. "I don't expect anyone to understand or accept this, but we're friends, me and Malfoy. He's a lot different from our school days."

Ginny chewed on her bottom lip nervously, but nodded all the same. "Believe me Hermione, if anyone on the whole planet could convince me of that, it would be you. It doesn't mean that as soon as this conversation is over that I'm not going to immediately check outside to see if nifflers are indeed flying."

Hermione rolled her eyes at Ginny's turn of phrase.

"He apologized to me last night," she stated softly and Ginny's eyebrows flew up in surprise.

"For what he used to call you in school?"

Hermione nodded. "Yes, for his behavior back then and for the slur he used. He also apologized for what his aunt did to me when the Snatchers brought us to the Manor." Though the scars from Bellatrix's knife were long gone, it didn't stop Hermione from rubbing her left forearm compulsively.

Ginny noticed the movement and frowned. "And he was sincere?" she asked quietly.

"Yes," Hermione quickly replied. "He really is different, Gin. He's had to overcome a lot the past few years and I think it matured him quite a lot. But then, we all had to grow up too fast, didn't we?"