Chapter 24: Spare Key

A loud ringing disrupts their sleep, Josh slowly opening one eye to read the alarm clock that's blinking 5:30 across the screen. Reaching over and slapping it off, he sits up in bed and leaves a fast asleep Callie in bed. A few minutes later, clad in his uniform, he leans in and kisses her forehead.

            "Callie, hey, I have to go," he says, stirring her awake.

            "No, stay," she groans, grabbing his hand.

           "I wish I could, but I can't. I'll be back before you know it though," he says, kissing her forehead once more.

           "Do you need me to leave?" she asks, lifting her head.

            "No, stay as long as you want. I left a spare key for you on the counter," he says, kissing her once more. "I won't be able to call, so I'll see you soon."

            "Be safe," Callie pleads, sitting up on her knees and hugging him tight.

            "I will. I promise. I'm difficult to hurt," he says, walking out the door.

            Her eyes flutter awake a few hours later. Once adjusting to the light shining in through the window, she looks around the quiet but put together room. She sits up and takes in all the surroundings before slowly climbing out of bed and getting dressed. She makes the bed out of habit and smooths out the grey and black comforter before stepping out of the bedroom and into the kitchen. Her fingers glide over the smooth surface of the key as she picks it up, adding it to her key ring. She takes one good look at the apartment before shutting the door behind her and locking up.