Chapter 25: Softball and Marines

Callie's been trying to keep busy with the passing weeks, but hard since all she thinks about Josh. Not having heard from him since he left two and a half weeks before. Constantly questioning his safety. Callie knows she must push that out of her mind and focus on the first game of playoff tournament. She snaps back into reality as the catcher yells for her. Callie's eyes meet the glove as she throws a rocket to the catcher, warming up.

            "Whoa killer," the catcher smirks, throwing the ball back and shaking her hand.

            "Sorry," Callie chuckles, throwing the ball once again but not as hard.

            Her eyes catch a familiar face in the stands. The man sitting down in the third row of bleachers. Removing her glove from her already sweaty hand, she makes her way towards the bleachers to embrace the man she hasn't seen in almost three weeks.

            "Hey," Josh laughs, picking her up. "How are you?"

            "Good," she answers, not the least bit concerned with the people watching. "I have to go back," she chuckles, giving him a kiss on the lips before running back to the field.

            "You a soldier son?" an older gentleman asks Josh once he sits down.

            "Marine Corps sir," Josh nods.

            "You look like one," he smiles. "Rank?"

            "Master Sergeant sir," Josh smiles, extending his hand and shaking the man's.

            "I was a Master too back in my day," the old man says.

            "Well, thank you for your service sir," Josh says.

            "I tell you what, I don't miss Nam' what's so ever. Horrible place," he shakes his head. "One time, I was laying down, trying to get some sleep and I felt something on my leg. Son, when I tell you I about shit my pants," he chuckles. "I looked down and there was a long snake slithering up my body. Oh that image."

             "I've ran into many things but not snakes."

            "Nasty suckers. Have you been gone? She came up here so fast to hug you."

            "Yeah, I just got back today," Josh answers.

            "She your girl?" he nonchalantly asks Josh.

            "Yeah, I guess she is," Josh says.

            "You know, she's one of the best pitchers in the state of Texas, right?" the older gentleman asks.

            "Yeah, that's what I hear, and I'm not surprised."

            Josh can't seem to stop talking to the older man, discussing softball, their military service, and Callie all while watching the game. After a lot of blood, sweet, the occasional tears, the Longhorns come away with a hard fought victory. They pull away with the first round of the playoffs, getting them one step closer to the National Championship title. The team can't contain their excitement, getting in line to shake the opposing team's hands. The team awarding Callie the game ball.

            "Guys..." she says smiling.

            After the coaches talk to the girls, they head to the locker room, some girls showering, others just grabbing their bags and heading out. Callie steps into the locker room and retrieves her gym bag and exits to find Josh. A whistle catches her attention as she turns and sees Josh leaning against the building.

             "Someone was on fire tonight," Josh exclaims, pushing off the wall.

             "No, I don't know what you're talking about," she chuckles.

            "Oh, I think I do," he smirks. He plants a few pecks on her lips, sliding his hand in hers as they intertwine their fingers, walking to their cars. "So, how about dinner to celebrate?"

            "I need to go home and shower before any celebrating begins," Callie says, leaning against her car.

            "So, carry out?"

            "I mean, if you can wait till after my shower we can go get dinner."

            "I can wait as long as you want me too," he smiles, leaning in and kissing her again.