Chapter 63

The door swished open behind me, and I turned, expecting to see either Eric or the Alberrechian male from earlier, but to my utter shock, a stone faced Yanneek entered the room.

My mouth dropped open as he brushed by me, his eyes avoiding mine as he walked to the table which I had once been resting on. I felt as if a lump was in my throat as he took up some of the rope which had been used to keep me tied to the table, fisting them tightly in his hand.

Once again, betrayal was what I felt as I watched him linger around the metal table, not looking directly towards me until I took a step forward. It was then that his head slowly raised, along with his bushy eyebrows. I began to speak, although I was unsure of what I intended to say, but Yanneek gave a quick shake of his head.

Confused, I reluctantly closed my mouth, but looked upwards towards the ceiling when his eyes bounced to it. Immediately I saw a camera right above us. Yanneek gestured subtly with a point of a finger that we move to the corner of the room, where we wouldn't be seen by the camera.

Hesitantly, I walked with him slowly to where he'd directed me to, eyes trailing every now and then to Quinn who still remained by the large screens, standing rigidly. Helda had left the area shortly after I had mouthed to her, and I was unsure of where she'd gone.

"You're apart of Corozal too?" My voice was loud with irritation as I turned back to Yanneek. He immediately shook his head, and using his right hand, lifted and then lowered it. I easily caught on to what he wanted me to do; lower my voice.

"No." Yanneek responded firmly and quietly. He looked over my shoulder, towards the direction of Quinn, and took my arm to pull me closer to him.

His eyes searched my face, speaking rapidly as he explained, "The morning of the day in which you were kidnapped I'd overheard Helda speaking to someone over her cellephone. I couldn't understand what was being said, but once I'd made my presence known, the way she'd reacted to seeing me was very telling; she was up to something. It was the very first time I'd had suspicions of her, but I tried to brush it off. When I saw Quinn and several others carrying your body out of her house, and someone from Corozal helping Helda, I knew I had to step in to try and help you."

The lights emitting from the screens suddenly darkened, and I glanced behind me warily as Yanneek went on, "I managed to persuade Helda to take me with her to here, and told her that I wanted to be a part of her community. She already knew my fears regarding lycans, and I lied and told her I wanted to be someone who fought against their existence. I had to take some fucking weird pledge that I would be loyal to Corozal, and I was searched everywhere on my body. Well," Yanneek's eyes lowered to his boots. "Almost everywhere."

I smiled bitterly. The Corozal people and the Alberrechians too had looked over searching my boots.

"I have my own phone," Yanneek's words were a soft whisper as we both heard the sound of footsteps. "And I've been in contact with Hannes. He and other lycans are on their way. I know where we are, and I've given him the di-"

The door opened and both of our heads turned to look at Helda as she stepped inside the room. I took several steps backwards, making space between Yanneek and myself.

Yanneek's face hardened as he looked at me, and I said nothing as he lifted the ropes in his hand, knowing that Helda was watching us. "You'll be tied again if you make anymore threats, Olivia." He bit out, face tense and jaw set.