Bonds and Star Trek, a Match Made in Heaven

CW/TW: written depiction of a panic attack
______________________

"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal."
~Albert Camus~
______________________

As we walk back to the backstage area of the stadium, the calls of "Encore!" slowly grow louder and louder. Sharing a glance, Areum and I have the same look of exhaustion on our faces.

By the time we make it backstage, my soulmates have already made their way back onstage, starting their encore with A Supplementary Story: You Never Walk Alone.

I manage to catch a glimpse of Yoongi singing, opening the song with his eyes determined and ready. He almost looks prepared to fight the world—just so they can understand the message he's trying to send.

"Hey," Areum gently taps my shoulder, trying to get my attention, "are you okay?" Blinking in confusion, I give her a slight smile before I answer.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Mentally, I berate myself for getting distracted by the mere sight of one of my soulmates. I need to be able to focus on what I have to do, not how good those tight jeans look on—

I let out a silent sigh and turn back to Hyeon and Areum before that train of thought goes any further.

"Fine has variable definitions," Hyeon quietly chimes in, a joking glint in his eyes. I immediately stop in my tracks due to the familiarness of those words.

It takes a few seconds before my brain makes the connection.

No. Way.

"You like Star Trek?" A sense of excitement floods my veins; it was rare for me to find someone who had the same interests as me. I had once tried to talk about it to one of my fellow employees at the café.

Needless to say, I did not make that mistake again.

Raising my hand, I form the Vulcan Salute and accompany the action with my best attempt at solemnly saying, "Live long and prosper."

Hyeon and Areum glance at each other and, scarily in sync, return the salute and reply with, "Peace and long life."

We remain where we are, engaged in a staring contest, for a solid minute before we are interrupted.

"What are you doing?" Yeonhae blinks at us, her disbelief evident. "We barely have thirty minutes left before the end of the concert. Do you know how much stuff we have to do?"

The answer? A whole fucking lot.

~o0o~

Yoongi is confused.

Not that anyone could prove that, but the fact of the matter remains the same. The reason behind his confusion? Well, he would say it's rather complicated.

Imagine that, for all of your life, it was just you inside your head. You would inwardly monologue to yourself, figure out comebacks to an argument that happened a week ago, and generally just think of everything you never dare to say out loud.

There's one thing in common in all of these scenarios.

You're alone. Because, of course, who else would be in your mind?