CHAPTER 29

KACELY
Song: Vulnerable- Selena Gomez

A continuous sound of what seems to be knocking interrupts my dream. I open my eyes, but I can barely see. I'm way too sleepy. It takes a while for me to register that it's from the window. The light from the TV has lit up the room but I still can't make out what or who it is.

"Kacely..." It calls out and I think I recognise the voice. Is it... Is it Az?

"Kacely..." It repeats and I rub my eyes to make sure I am awake . Am I dreaming about this girl now? Has it gotten to that?

"Kacely..." It calls again

"Az?" I call back, reluctantly untangling myself from the beddings. I peep one more time to confirm who it actually is. It is her. I hurriedly walk towards the window and slide it open so she can get in. She throws her sneakers in first and carefully enters, avoiding the books on my cupboard.

"What are you doing here?" I ask her, slowly sliding the window closed. My gaze switches between the window and her and I open the blind one more time, to look outside. Did she... "Did you climb the tree to get in here?"

"Yes, I did. Sorry I woke you up." She apologises and I look at my clock, it's almost 11pm. " I know how awkward it must be; me coming to your room so late but... I just had to get away from the house for a bit."

"Why... Did ... Did something happen?" I ask softly, still feeling sleepy.
She tears down her walls for the third time this weekend and hurries into my arms, letting herself cry again...

"Shhh..." I muse. "Don't cry." I add and pull her towards the bed. I cause her to lay her head on my thighs as I run my fingers up and down the length of her slender back.

"Did something else happen?" I press. I know she would rather not talk about it, but I have to know.

"No... Yes, not really but... Let's just not talk about it." She begs again."Can I sleep here? I know it's too much, but I really can't go home now. I can't be around all those people." She sobs and uses the edges of my blue pyjamas to wipe away her unending tears.

"You can. Only if you promise to stop crying. You've cried enough since Friday, don't you think?" I negotiate and she nods. "Plus you have to be really quiet. My mom doesn't need to know you're here"

"I know you still don't want to tell me what happened so I won't push you. But know that it's terribly uncomfortable to see you like this and not know the reason why or be able to do anything about it."

"They threw me a party." She exhales.

"Who's they?"

"Gramps and his girlfriend and Bryana..."

"What's so wrong about that?" I ask, and she looks up at me. Honestly speaking, what's wrong with it?

"Nothing... It's just... I wanted to be alone... With Gramps, we always visit mom's grave today. But he acted like... he was so uninvolved and nonchalant" she wipes her eyes. "There was a large banner saying happy 18th Az!, there was this huge cake and drinks and food... and there were all these people who I don't even know and I couldn't handle it, I was so overwhelmed, I have never had a birthday party before, I didn't know how to react and I couldn't pretend like it was all OK when it wasn't, you know...I just..." She breaks again.

OK...

This has got to be the first time I'm seeing someone who is upset about having a surprise party being thrown for them. I'm trying to understand her, but it's still weird. However, I know better than to speak out about it, it'll be inconsiderate.

I never would've thought I'd see Az as miserably as I have this weekend. She can't even put her words together. She must really be hurt and I can't understand her because I'm not in her shoes.