Dorm Room 210: A Side Dish For Superman 2

Author note: This chapter has been revised and edited. Updated 13th June 2017

I really don't know why I had two separate chapters for these. It would've been better if it was all in one chapter LOL. Oh well, it happened. Enjoy!

Chapter 9.5:

A Side Dish For Superman 2 

I don't remember being escorted to table, let alone downing two glasses of water within minutes, but I do feel the slight pounding on the side of my temple and the pressure of Noah's hand resting on my back. 

His parents sit across from us; his dad, Aaron, facing Noah, and his mother, Veronica, facing me. They're both wearing jeans and looking serene in the comforts of their own home.

I don't have the energy to turn around and yell at Noah for making me stress about getting a dress. I don't have the nerve to yell at him, for whatever reason it may be, not when he's looking far more guilty that I ever hope he feels.

Indian and Chinese take out is dinner tonight. The smell of fried rice, honey and soy noodles and spicy chicken hits me so wonderfully that all I want to do is dig in.  

"Are you all right now, dear?" Veronica asks, her green worried eyes finding mine without trouble. A lock of blonde hair escapes from her messy ponytail as she copies my nod. "Good. Now I'll be sure to rid of those cakes from the limos once and for all."

Aaron glances at Veronica, a hint of a teasing smile splaying on his features. It takes me by surprise at the gentleness portrayed. "Not all of them I hope. They're your favourite and you know it."

I glance around at the modern and finest dining room I have been privileged to see as Noah continues gently rubbing my back. I look over at him, at his untouched plate of rice and chicken, and shrug him off. "Eat. I'm good now."

"If you feel sick let me know," he says, but he picks up his fork anyway.

I eventually do the same.

Veronica, it appears, love a good small talk wherever possible. "So, Lillian. How's sharing a dorm room with my son going?"

"Smoothly," I say, twirling up a noodle from my Chinese container.

"Do you two share any classes?"

"Design and development. We're working on an assignment."

Her back straightens, a look of excitement passing through her. "Together? What is it?"

"A dress and a couple of side pieces." He turns to me for approval. "We're still working on the finer details."

"Is there going to be a runway to showcase these assignments?"

"End of semester, everyone will have a chance to display their projects."

Veronica's smile took over her features, and ultimately mine, as she glances between us. "Well I hope your father and I will be able to come and see it for ourselves."

At the mention of Aaron, Noah sinks out of the conversation. He nudges his elbow at me. "Pass the salt, sunshine."

I look between him and the salt. "You're way closer to the salt than I am."

Noah sighs and stands up abruptly from his seat, causing a shift in the table. Before anyone had the chance to do anything, my water and a carton of food spills over. Noah grasps the salt just as he swears and drops it.

Veronica mutters reassurances as Aaron goes and grabs napkins for the spilled food on the floor. I try to help while protecting my dress from the drink spilling over the edge, but the damage has been done; it's ruined and heavy with my dinner.  My attention falls on Noah's distraught face.