Part 38

Maggie let out a grunt as she stretched out her arms.

Nuzzling back under the covers, she twisted over to find James still sleeping. It was an incredibly rare occurrence for them, since he was practically immortal with how little he slept.

He was on his stomach, one arm tucked under his pillow, the other lying limp over Maggie's side. His messy dark hair was strewn over his face, only revealing his slack jaw. He looked so raw like this. The only time he was vulnerable in his life. Resting.

She smiled down at him. Happy to see it. Leaning over, she gave the ornate snake that was curled up on his shoulder a kiss, lips pressing to his scorching hot skin. He smelt like faded notes of cologne and his bedsheets. Like cotton and oud.

She stroked over his back, admiring the intricate designs that covered his skin. Her delicate fingers tracing softly over the lines. Noticing a small circular scar she had never seen before. She realized there were a lot of them. Light enough to not be visible under the dark ink, unless you looked close enough. The bright morning light illuminated them, catching on the slightly raised skin, making them clear what they were. Cigarette burns.

A knot formed in her throat as tears threatened to fall from her eyes. The scary were silver, making it clear they were old. He had mentioned his parents were hard on him, but not to this extent. Her heart ached thinking over the violence he must've endured.

Blinking away the tears that had crept up on her, she slipped out of the covers. Macabre thoughts haunting her as she crawled off the bed.

She walked into the closet and pulled on one of James' t-shirts.

Making her way down to the kitchen, she started in on some breakfast for them. As she mixed the pancake batter, she let herself space out. Still caught up on the burns that covered his skin. She wondered why she'd never noticed them before, then realizing that whenever he was shirtless, he was usually facing her.

Footsteps coming from the stairwell pulled her from her fretting. James walked in wearing a black t-shirt and pajama pants. Looking cozy as ever. Although, no matter what he wore, she always wanted to climb into his arms. "Good morning." His voice was an octave deeper, raspy with sleep.

"Morning." Maggie chirped over, keeping her front positive. She spun around to the stove to pour the batter into the skillet.

Two oversized hands cupped her waist, as he landed a kiss to the top of her head, before he padded over to pour himself a cup of inky black coffee. Filling the light mug with pure obsidian. He took a long sip, letting the steamy caffeine bring him to life. "Sorry I slept in."

"Don't be sorry. I'm happy you did." She smiled over at him.

"Yeah, well I haven't been sleeping much lately, so I guess it all caught up to me."

She nodded, flipping a pancake over in the pan.

He moved back to her, fingers playing with a ringlet of her tangled hair. He bent down, leaving kisses over her shoulders, up to her neck. Her eyes rolled back, lips tilting into a blessed out smile. "I can't cook with you doing that. I'll burn the pancakes."

"Well, I could just eat you for breakfast instead." He teased, deep voice laced with desire.

His hand slipped under the oversized t-shirt she wore, grabbing a handful of her ass, giving it a squeeze.

She jerked away, yelping. "James, stop." She laughed. "I'm starving and I know you must be too."

He sighed, narrowing his eyes at her. "Fine. But I'm fucking the shit out of you as soon as were finished."