Chapter one: A Tumultuous Life Revamped

Katelyn's POV

"Katelyn! Come down here! You need to make us breakfast" My, oh, so lovely big brother, Dylan, shouts. Just like every other morning, this is my wake-up call. Someone calling on me, demanding I do something or the other for them. Most often it is cooking up a meal. I hope with my birthday coming up soon, my mate will get me away from this living hell.

"I'm coming! One second!" I yell back and throw on some clothes. I run down the stairs and go to kitchen, only to receive a sharp look for my tardiness from my sister, Zara. Zara, as many other werewolf girls, looked beautiful in a slightly dangerous way. It's the predator in us, that makes us look and feel more attractive to mere humans. A way to lure them to us. The werewolves of the olden days, fed on humans. It's not exactly that we eat them, it's just humans have this spark of potential to be more. Back then werewolves regularly ate the Potential of humans. Because the werewolves of old ate the Spark of Potential, we gained the ability to shift outside of the full moon. We, in addition, gained an easier way to feel our mates and at last we lost the animalistic hunger, which had always plagued our kind. When we didn't need to eat The Spark of Potential, the Moon Goddess ordered us to stop hunting humanity. We were to no longer steal their potential from them and henceforth focus on our own. If any were to break her decree, they would be cursed to never find their mate and never belong to a pack. They would forever be lonely, never to feel the bonds of pack ever again. So of course, the only ones to still hunt for humans with strong Sparks of Potential, are rogues. Those who abandon their packs or are banished for grave misconduct by defying either their alpha or the Moon Goddess.

A slap to the face wake me up from my thoughts "Get started on breakfast, runt" Zara order "you know, the pack doesn't like to wait too long on their food." Giving me a look that tell me to get on with it, so I get started. After the eggs, bacon, sausages, and toast are all done, I make sure to sprinkle it with a mix of herbs, to make sure everyone would get the necessary nutrients they need. Being a werewolf, we need larger amounts of food than humans but it's impractical to eat a horse or more a day. Someone once came up with a mixture of herbs, that would give us the needed amount of energy without the need to eat more than humans.

After making a plate for myself and serving the food in the dining room, I sit myself down in the kitchen, to eat in peace. If I were to eat with the pack I would be harassed, bullied and beaten down till I left again. It's easier to just not show up, even if the avoidance is hurting me deep inside and feels like it is slowly killing me.

"Katelyn! Come and remove our plates" Dylan holler. I put my plate by the dishwasher and prepar the trolley for collecting plates and cutlery. After collecting all the dirty dishes and the like, I take it all to the kitchen to get cleaned up. I prepare myself for one more day of chores and loneliness.

___________________________

I am looking forward to my birthday. One more week, just one more, then I will know who my mate is. I will find the missing piece of my soul. Finally, I will find someone who will care. My mate. The one person, the Moon Goddess has destined for me. The one person who would complete me and push me to be the best version of myself. Someone who will like me just for being me. Just one more week, before I turn 16 and this hell of loneliness will finally be over.

"KATELYN!" Dylan yells again, pulling me out of my pleasant thoughts and into cold hard reality. I immediately head towards his room.

"What?" I ask with a bored tone as I reach his door, even though I know he doesn't like it when I have an attitude.

"Don't talk to me in that tone" He growl and slap me hard on the side of my head. I keep silent and simply stare at him. Even though I know I am pushing his buttons, I just can't stop myself.

"So... Katelyn, do tell me why my room is so dirty, even though you should have cleaned it by now?" He inquires and gestures with his hands to his filthy room.