amelioration

amelioration
/əˌmiːlɪəˈreɪʃ(ə)n/
noun: amelioration; plural noun: ameliorations
the act of making something better; improvement.

amelioration/əˌmiːlɪəˈreɪʃ(ə)n/noun: amelioration; plural noun: ameliorationsthe act of making something better; improvement

Glendale , AZ
Sunday February 9th
Soraya Legacy Valentine | Binkie

"What would you like to tell me, Miss Valentine?" Dr. Harris asked bringing his glasses away from his face and holding them in his right hand as he placed his left leg over the other.

"I." Soraya paused coughing in attempt to clear her throat before beginning again, "I made a friend." She revealed.

"A friend?" Dr. Harris smiled slightly, "want to tell me how?"

"She done my hair," Soraya ran her hand through her frontal, "then she asked for my insta and stuff and said we'd become friends. Then she messaged me I think a couple days later asking how I was and suggesting we meet up."

"And you did?" Dr. Harris asked to which Soraya nodded.

"Yeah. It wasn't all too bad honestly, she's a very 'curious' person, you could say. She talks a lot."

Dr. Harris never stopped smiling, "that's wonderful news. I'm honestly so proud. This is great, what's she like? How do you feel towards her?" Soraya sighed her shoulders dropping.

"I think she's gay and she makes a lot of comments about it which isn't bad at all. She's just like a very confident person and she has an intimidating personality but it's not really intimidating per say."

"Strong, she's a strong character." Dr. Harris suggested, "how does her sexuality interfere with your relationship?"

Soraya sighed again, "She confuses me. She's very..." Soraya trailed off.

"indecipherable, means not able to be read or understood. That didn't answer my question though Valentine."

"I know, I know." Soraya paused, "she makes me feel a way. She makes me wonder, she makes me feel weird and I don't like it."

"Ahh. You've met someone whom you can't see through Soraya and that leaves you with an unsettling feeling in the sense that you're in a vulnerable position being friends with her. And you, my dear, hate feeling vulnerable, don't you?" Dr. Harris could see right through Soraya like she was a glass window and she hated it.

The perks of being a therapist for 15 or so years and Soraya's for 8.

"This is good to a certain extent, her name?"

"Cheyenne, that's all I know about her really."

"Any negatives about her? What'd you do when she asked to see you?"

"We were going to go watch this movie but it was cancelled, so we just went to Wendy's: sat and ate for a bit. Then we were going to go back to hers because she told me she paints and I told her I do too; then I started feeling unwell so Trenton came and picked me up."

"What caused the sudden nausea?" Her therapist asked.

Soraya shruged, "I'm not too sure." Dr. Harris pursed his lips.

"Are you taking your pills, Soraya? This is a serious question it is adamant that you do take them. I'm not quite sure you're taking this too seriously. You can't expect me to allow you to adopt a whole other person if you won't take care of yourself, do you understand me?"

"Yes." Soraya mumbled she huffed, "do you speak to those social workers and stuff?"

"Of course I do Soraya, are you forgetting my job? my place? do you understand what this all means? I will not let Jalen be in your care if you continue to refuse to improve. Simple as, no buts, ifs or maybes."

"I'm getting better though I don't even need them, all they do is make me drowsy!"

"I've been prescribing you those same pills for the last several years Soraya and I told you specifically that after a number of weeks that shouldn't be happening any morning, your body would've adapted and got used to them. And so if it hasn't, what does that show?"

"I haven't been taking them enough." Soraya mumbled.

"No you haven't." Dr. Harris huffed, "we are here to help you. Help Valentine, help. Not ruin you, break or damage. We can't help you, if you don't help us. You need to get to the realization that not everyone's against you. That, Soraya, that is what is stopping you from living."

"I died long ago, there isn't any living for me anymore."

"No Soraya you are very much still alive. physically and mentally, spiritually and emotionally. There is a part inside of you that is trapped though - barricaded in by metal bars and you, only you Soraya, hold the key to free it but you refuse to. When you come to the understanding though that only you can fix yourself I worry it'll be too late." Dr. Harris sighed.

"How is your brother?" Soraya shrugged.

"I don't know, he hasn't been home in a few days." Dr. Harris raised an eyebrow.

"And you are alone? You do realise you cannot live alone, Soraya."

Soraya rolled her eyes, "I'm twenty-one I think I'm perfectly fine with living alone.

"I don't agree, can you stay with a friend maybe?"

"I only have one friend and that's Cheyenne and I'd rather not." Dr. Harris struggled to keep his eyes unrolled.

"Have you spoke to your brother? Can you ask when he'll be back possibly?" Dr. Harris hoped.

"Okay." Soraya said softly.

"This has been one of our best ever talks if I'm honest with you Ms Valentine, I expect more contributions from you. I'll see you next week, I'll look on getting you on a new prescription, and I'll expect you to take it if so. Everyday at 11am and 3pm. Clear?" Soraya nodded, "I find words are much more constructive than gestures, Soraya. Can we try that again?" Soraya rolled her eyes.

"Yes I will, I'll take my prescribed pills everyday at 11am and 3pm and if it makes you feel better I'll even set alarms."

"Oh that would make me feel all the much better Miss Valentine, please do." Soraya rolled her eyes going to her clock app and setting the alarms saving them under 'pills'.

"Have a lovely day, Valentine." Soraya gave a grumble in response and left the office room.