Chapter Twenty-Eight: Jump Forward

Waking up, I knew that something was definitely different. Before I even opened my eyes, I could feel it.

So when I sat up, my suspicions were correct that something was a hundred percent wrong. My room was a mess and I definitely did not sleep with it in this state, especially since I never got fully drunk. I actually made an effort to slip into pajamas, put my shoes in its proper place, and throw my clothes into the laundry basket.

The mess was not something that could have been done in one night, this was an accumulation of several weeks or even months. It was familiar and my stomach dropped when I was slowly connecting the dots of what could have happened.

Then my eyes went to the my study table – which also looked like a hurricane passed by it – and the corkboard on the wall above it. It was filled with pictures, those with Zoey, others with both Sasha and Mia, and the biggest dead giveaway of all – a lot of photos of Pat and I.

And not just any photos, it was taken from when we went out on dates.

Don't tell me.

I quickly felt around my bed until I got my phone. My hands were shaking when I pressed on the lock button, my heart thumping out of my chest as I waited for today's date to appear.

It was spring. More specifically, it was the day after Pat broke up with me.

When I looked at my bedside table, I almost wanted to cry when I saw that the whistle was still there. It didn't move an inch from when I placed it there after I got home from the party.

I hastily put it on, as if it would act as a shield from all the bullshit that was happening.

Hold on, what about Leon?

Opening my phone, I scrolled through my messages and something in me just died a little when I saw our texts. Our conversations were gone, all the friendly and the flirty ones weren't there. In fact, there was only one chat and I could feel the aloofness coming from both sides. It was sent months ago, probably when Pat and I weren't having problems yet.

Avery Barber: Is Pat with you?

Leon Colten: No.

Avery Barber: Ok, thanks.

That was it, that was our only exchange. It was hard to remember that we did act like this to each other, considering what we have been through.

I prayed to whoever was in charge of this time travel jumbled nonsense that he would pick up when I pressed the call icon.

"Avery!" was his loud exclamation when he answered the call, his voice as frantic as the emotions I was feeling right now. This could only mean that he was as confused about this situation as I was. This indicated that he still has his memories, he was still my Leon.

Thank you, universe. At least you still kept him by my side.

"Leon, what's happening?" I asked, my voice going small because this situation was honestly terrifying.

I thought he would have more clarity since he had done the time travel thing at least thirty times by now, but to my horror he answered with, "I don't know."

Oh no. Not good. Not good at all.

"I'm on my way to your house," he told me, "Let's go to school for the meantime and figure things out."

"Okay," I murmured, quite unsure with what to do. At least one of was still thinking rationally during all of this.

When he hung up, I jumped out of bed and made my way to my closet in order to get dressed for the day, possibly tripping every two steps or so because the amount of clutter on the floor of my room. When I opened my school bag, I almost shrieked in terror that it was also in a state of disarray.