162

I'm really depressed right now, meaning I have absolutely no energy to write so instead I'm publishing chapter 162. Maybe tomorrow 'cause we're almost caught up with the last chapter I've written so far...

-

I woke up to the feeling of fingers brushing through my hair. I smiled for a moment as it was George's smell that hit my nose. Then I remembered everything and my smile dropped while I opened my eyes. George was sitting up on the sofa and I had fallen asleep while resting against it.

"Hi." he cooed. He didn't stop brushing my hair with his fingers. He smiled at me. He looked so much better than yesterday. Somehow, he looked happy and I didn't want to take that away from him. I think he was just happy to be alive and okay. He was okay... right?

"Hi." I whispered back. My voice was weak. I sounded fragile but then again, I was fragile. George placed his other hand against my jaw, moving my head up so he could look at me.

"I made it back." he said, running his thumb over my bottom lip. "Just like I promised. I always keep my promises, don't I?"

"I'd expected all of you to return." I weakly smiled. "I'm sorry you lost your ear."

"Well." he shrugged. "You know what they say; 'Ear today, gone tomorrow."

"Jesus." I rolled my eyes, pulling myself up from the floor as George laughed. His face showed nothing but happiness. He was so strong. He could laugh after what happened to him. He was amazing. George parted his slips and grabbed my thighs to guide me to stand between them. "I have to tell you something?"

He tilted his head back to look at me and hummed in response. The smile never faded from his face. I ran my hand into his hair, tucking at it lightly. "It's going to make you sad."

"What is it?" he asked. "Did something happen while I was sleeping."

"No." I breathed. "It happened while you were struggling to stay conscious."

His smile slowly faded and his eyebrows came together in a frown as he watched me carefully. I let out a heavy breath and he pulled me down to sit on his lap. My eyes dropped from his eyes and instead I looked at his shirt.

"Bill noticed that I was bleeding."

"Bleeding?" George questioned. "Where?"

He turned my head gently to see if anything was on my neck before he checked my arms. I stopped him, grabbed his wrist and he looked at me again.

"I miscarried last night." I told him. I refused to look at his face. I didn't want to see his reaction. It would only break me even more, so I kept my eyes on his shirt. "I spent most of the night in the hospital."

"Are you..." he inhaled sharply. "Are you alright?"

"That's what you're worried about?" I frowned. "If I'm alright?"

He gently grabbed my jaw and lifted my head to find my gaze. His expression was soft but his eyes showed pain. He was sad and so was I. "You will always be top priority."

"We lost our baby."

"I know." he closed his eyes for a second. "But are you okay?"

"No." I admitted. "I had to give birth to her. I had to give birth to our baby while knowing we couldn't keep her."

"Her? It was a girl?"

"Yeah." I breathed. "I held her, Georgie. She was so tiny. Smaller than my palm."

I held my hand between us and opened it to demonstrate. George gently grabbed it and brought it up to his lips to kiss it. "I'm so sorry my love. I wish I had been there for you."

"Don't do that." I said. "You were injured. Sebastian and Kathleen were with me and Aline took the responsibility of helping me birth her. She told me that we can bury her. We can name her and we can bury her close to my mother if we want."

"Okay." he nodded and rested his forehead against mine. "Do you want her to be buried?"

"Yes."

"Then that's what's going to happen." he told me. He pressed a soft kiss to my lips before I wrapped my arms around his neck and hugged him, resting my head on his right shoulder. I didn't want to accidentally touch or bump into his left ear and hurt him even more. He must've been in so much pain. He probably still is.

"I love you, Georgie." I whispered into his shoulder, closing my eyes while enjoying his scent.

"I love you more."