𝐢. joanna

CHAPTER ONE

winterfell, house stark the north

the north

JOANNA SAT BESIDE HER BROTHER'S DESK, HER SILK DRESS POURING TO THE GROUND. She kept her hands firmly in her lap, staring at the letter in Ned's hand. She looked at him, he looked conflicted as if hesitant to speak. After the news of Lyanna's death, it had somehow made winterfell a lot gloomier and darker, the white snow covering the grey walls. It had not been much easier when Ned had brought home a bastard boy. Joanna could see the shame in his eyes as every northern lord stared at him with rejection and dismay. Caitlyn had not taken the news of the bastard that well, after just presenting his heir she had given birth to. Joanna had felt doubt when she had examined him. He seemed too shaken up, too cold. That was not how her brother was.

She took her time examining him, eyes become more grey, his brown hair now longer and more dull. He looked tired, Joanna could notice his dark under eyes as well. How she missed the days when none of them would worry about any of this. Ned was not supposed to become lord of winterfell, that title was for Brandon. Yet, he is dead and nothing Joanna could do would bring him back from the dead.

"I have gotten news from Robert, Joanna," Ned spoke up, bringing her back from her thoughts. Joanna sat silently, praying whatever news he had would be good. It seemed to her that every news Robert would bring Ned, it would be bad ones. Alas, she prayed she was wrong.

"He wants me to marry you to Jaime Lannister." Joanna widened her eyes, certainly not expecting such news. The thought of her and Jaime was very foreign to her. At times, when ladies know of their betrothals, they tend to imagine themselves with that specific man. Joanna however, did not manage to think of anything romantic occurring among them.

She remember catching a glimpse of Jaime Lannister at the tourney. He was handsome, verily so, one of the most attractive men she had ever laid eyes upon. She remember him sitting beside his sister, Cersei in the Lannister stand beside the Targaryens. It seemed all the Lannister's held themselves like superior to other houses. She had heard of their arrogance and harshness, and never given much thought into them primarily due to lack of interest.

Joanna tightened her grip on her lap, keeping herself from complaining. Ned was exhausted, she knows at times she could be quite the handful. "You speak as if you do not have a say in the matter, Ned. Robert is your friend for goods sake."

Ned shook his head,"I have no say in this, believe me I tried. Do you think I wish to send my sister to the lion's den? This was not a request from Robert but from Lord Tywin."

Of course. It all came down to the old lion didn't it. Joanna had heard rumors that he was the one giving the order of the death of Elia Martell and her children. She had heard their gruesome fates, and could not fathom the horrified looks on their faces.

Ned looked at her with a sorrowful look plastered on his face,"I am sorry, Joanna."

The journey to Casterly Rock was long and hard. Joanna was not acquainted with the weather either, in the beginning of the journey she had to change her knitted gown into a thin and airy one. She kept requesting the carriage to be stopped at any chance she could get. They were however, turned down by the guards explaining that they had to reach Casterly Rock in time.

Joanna sighed, rubbing her temple with her fingers, her head staring out to the beautiful road filled with flowers. They were now in Lannisport, near the sunset sea. She had to hold back her gasp, it was beautiful. To think that she would be lady over this majestic place.

There were crowds of people watching, staring at the carriage with wonder. The people never did see visitors from great houses often.

They stopped at Casterly Rock, guards already beside her opening the carriage door and bringing out a hand for the Lady. Jonna suddenly felt anxious, her hands began to sweat, but she quickly covered it up as she exited the carriage. Her mouth opened, head looking at the castle in gold.

She looked straight ahead, her breath suddenly caught in her throat. She met with the cold eyes of Tywin Lannister. Shivers run through her body despise the warm heat, he was truly frightening. Beside him stood a gorgeous woman, looking as every bit as Lannister as she a Stark. She was tall, slender and had graceful figure. Her golden hair catching the sun making it seem like her hair glistened. She would have though her to be a kind Lady if not for her glaring eyes. Beside her however, was the one who caught her eyes the most. He stood there all tall and proud as his father. On the short glimpse she had seen him, he had managed to become even more handsome, something that seemed near impossible to her.

She walked up to them, keeping her head up and bowing down respectfully before the Lannister's. They returned the small gesture.

"My Lady. I am pleased you finally arrived," he said, his hands behind his back as he was towering over her by nearly three feet.

Jonna could feel his eyes glaring at her, inspecting her. "I am pleased to be here as well, Lord Lannister. Casterly Rock is just as magnificent as I thought it to be," she said, trying to keep her eyes from Jaime.

Lord Tywin nodded stiffly, gesturing a maid forward. "Show Lady Stark her rooms as she must be tired from her long journey."

Joanna followed the maid without a single glance behind her. She was just content to get away from their frightening glares.

Thank you for reading !