[12]

"It's for the pain," Kiara advised Sarah, who was slouched under the hem. 

"JJ, bless," I mumbled as Kiara pulled out JJ's blunt and put it between her lips. She pulled out his lighter and lit the marijuana filled tube. She took a drag and handed it to Sarah. "Actually . . . ." she pulled it back and took another inhale of the weed.

"Really?" Sarah snapped and took the blunt from her hand. She took one of the longest drag I had ever seen someone take, and I'm dating JJ.

"Easy there. It's JJ's cousin's Cripple," Kiara commented, and Sarah finally pulled back. She started coughing widely, and Kiara rolled her eyes. I started rubbing her back, grabbing the blunt from her hand, and taking a swig of my own.

~:*:~

I was leaning against the back of Heyward's boat, playing with JJ's burnt out blunt in between my fingers. I sighed, biting down on my tongue harshly to keep me from sighing and sounding unhappy. Even if no one is around. I didn't want to admit to myself that I was far from happy right now.

So many things were racing through my mind. JJ's restitution. His bruises. Kiara's sudden change in attitude towards me. Topper calling me a slut. Rafe calling me a Pogue. Mine and JJ's argument about my social status. JJ telling me he loves me. Me knowing I love him back but still not ready to admit it. Even if I did tell him, I didn't want to hurt him. He's already broken enough, and if I were to leave him, I don't know what he would do. Being the impulsive boy, he is. He'd probably kill himself and not regret one thing.

I almost jumped five feet in the air when a hand was rested on my back. I whipped around and let out a sigh of relief when I saw Kiara. "What do you want, Kiara?" I snapped, and she sighed.

"I came to talk to you --"

"Come to tell me how I'll never be a Pogue? I think I got the hint by now," I spat and went back to resting my arms on the edge of the boat.

"No," she whispered and stood next to me, "I came to . . . . apologies."

I looked at her with slight disgust, "why? Last time wasn't good enough for you."

She groaned and ran a hand through her hair, "no, and it wasn't even an apology since I didn't keep it. I was a bitch to you. I'll admit that." I glanced at her.

"But . . . . I'm asking for your forgiveness. Please. I snapped at you because once John B said Sarah was involved in this, all I could think about was you. How close you were getting with JJ, and now you guys are dating --"

"What's your point?"

"My point is . . . . you are, and always have been a Pogue. Not just because you're dating one or that you're best friends with us. You have a soul of a Pogue, just like Sarah. And I'm sorry for taking out my stereotypes on you. You don't deserve that type of judgment," she said and licked her lips.

I huffed, making us fall into silence. Without warning, I pulled her into a hug. She was frozen in place for about two minutes, but she hugged back after collecting her thoughts.

"I forgive you. Again," I added, and she giggled. We broke the hug and smiled at each other.

"But, can you promise me one thing," she said softly, and I nodded.

"Don't leave JJ," I felt my muscles tense at the thought, "you're the only thing he has besides us. I've noticed how much he loves you and if you were to take that away . . . . I -- I just can't imagine what he'd do to himself and others. Just, promise me."

I nodded repeatedly, "promise me," she said slowly, and I agreed.

"I promise."

~:*:~