three.

chapter three

[ season 2 | episode 2 ][ shape shifted ]

[ shape shifted ]

DEREK SHIFTED IN THE SMALL SUBWAY, his beady eyes staring her down. Marlowe stared back, jaw clenched and eyes narrowed. They were like fire and ice, one of them near spontaneous combusted and the other cold and collect.

          He lunged, claws digging into the bare flesh of her arm. It took her a moment to realize what was happening, to define the reason for her stinging limb, but when she did, she was pissed. With fangs bared and claws ready for blood, she fought him off of her, knowing it wouldn't actually hurt him in any way. He'd been a werewolf all his life, training and learning how to fight properly, while she was new. She didn't know how to do half the stuff he did.

          Her claws cut into his bicep, crimson red seeping through his torn flesh. He let out a growl, his Adam's apple bobbing, before grabbing her arm and twisting it until an animalistic yell came from her lips. She felt tears spring to her eyes, white hot pain traveling through her veins and into the broken bone. It wasn't long until it subsided, black veins moving from her to Derek. Grimacing, he gripped her limp arm tighter and kept holding on until the darkness went away.

          Her arm already healed itself. "I win."

          She held it to her chest, the feeling in it a reminder of what just happened. "Fine. I'll follow him." Rolling her eyes, she turned to face him completely. "Y'know, that was dirty. Breaking my arm."

Narrowing his eyes and making sure all of his wounds were gone, he chuckled. "Yeah, I know. You're gonna need to be prepared for that stuff against the Argents, Mar. People like Gerard don't care if they play dirty." His words held more meaning, sending the sassy look from Marlowe's face.

She nodded, done with the conversation. Holding her phone up briefly, she waited for Derek to send her the address of the Lahey house. When Isaac showed up asking for the bite, she just expected him to bite the boy and let him go, not demand that she follow and babysit him. After all, she'd only been a beta for however many days. She wasn't exactly an expert on the whole werewolf thing.

Her phone buzzed in her hand and she made her way out of the abandoned station. The night sky floated above, illuminating the dark parking lot and making the trek to his house a helluva lot easier, and Marley spent most of the walk staring up at it. During the thirty minute walk, her mind took her back to when she was five, staring up at the stars with her father and little brother. He'd always tell her that the dead sat up in those stars, watching down on the living. She liked to think he was smiling down on here right now.