Chapter 6

The next three months are a whirlwind of meetings and discussions. Clarissa meets four times a week with Peter to discuss the business ideas, expansion and how best to handle any problems that arise. She slowly slips into a routine of managing The Strand, and also her family, who become more and more demanding the closer it gets to Catherine leaving the country. Before she knows it her family is out of the mourning period, summer is at its height, and Catherine is preparing to leave the next day. 

The clock behind the bare shows that it is 2:30 pm when Clarissa rubs her straining eyes. She has spent all afternoon going over the accounts with the accountant, Albert, Bertie for short. He is a very tall fellow with a small beard and corn coloured hair, he has worked for the family for 20 years, ever since he became qualified. 

Clarissa nods listening carefully as he drones on and on about the incomes for that current month and how her expenditure has fallen but is expected to rise in the next month. She asked him to explain the accounts fully to her so she could understand it all, but the way he is throwing numbers and terminology at her is making her brain hurt.

"So does that all make sense?" Bertie asks, finally finishing his explanation. Clarissa puts her hands to her temple and rubs it to make sure she can still think.

"Yes," She says after a pause, "Thank you." 

"If you have any further questions then you know where to find me." He says, packing up his briefcase and shrugging on his coat. She holds out her hand to him and he politely shakes it.

"I will see you next month." He says, bowing, "It is always a pleasure to see you Miss Lenoir."

"Good day. Bertie," Clarissa says, her brain still overloaded by information, "Send my good wishes to your sister." 

He thanks her and then leaves the pub. Clarissa slumps back in her chair, looking at the ceiling she groans and has to resist the temptation to close her eyes and nap. Instead, she stretches and sits up properly. The accounts and documents are all spread across the bar in front of her. She picks up her pen and taps it against her lip, unsure where to begin. 

"I hate maths." She declares to nobody. She drops the pen and rests her head on her arms on the bar. She sits there alone until the door to the pub opens and a tall bulky man walks in, he notices her and immediately bows his head. 

"I beg your pardon miss, I was just coming in to get the bar ready." He says, his voice is gruff and low, it suits his giant-like stature. 

"It is quite alright Chuck," She says, sitting up, she stifles a yawn behind her hand, "You may come in. Do what you need to do."

Chuck heads behind the bar and starts to wash up from the night before. He hums a gentle tune as he works. 

Chuck has worked in The Strand for 15 years, he started off tending to the bars that sit on the outer part of the territory, however, Roderick Lenoir was soon to notice that aside from his giant-like size, Chuck was a smart and compassionate man that needed a purpose. Chuck was rumoured to have been jumping in and out of prison for theft before he worked here, Roderick soon promoted him to be the main manager of The One-eyed Duke and since that day Chuck hasn't seen the inside of a prison cell. Clarissa was scared of the man growing up, he never spoke to her much and seemed to tower over everyone and everything, but as she got older she found a good friend in him, although he still treats her with the utmost respect despite her insistence that he calls her Clarissa. 

"Can I get you anything miss? The cook isn't in for another hour but I can pour you something?" Chuck suggests as he cleans the dirty mugs and glasses. 

"You are very kind," Clarissa replies, "But I don't want anything." She looks down at the accounts, "I have to organise these papers before I put them away.