CHAPTER 40: WAKE UP, YOU SLEEPY HEAD

'Levi, what are you doing?' I gasped

'What I have to, Evie,' he said, his face a mask of hard lines and determination.

Taj grasped his SA80 tightly in front of him, his eyes widening, trying to keep his voice calm, but it sounded pinched and tight, a note of desperation that was so unlike the level-heaed, calm Taj I knew. 'What you have to do is lower your damn weapons, Levi. We had a plan. An agreement. We're here for a reason.'

'And what is that reason?' Levi replied. 'Because from where I stand, I think that reason isn't what you say it is. I think you got us here under false pretences. I think this plan of yours stinks worse than this piece of shit here.' He nudged the Grey's corpse with his booted foot. 'Now, we came to this building in good faith. We came because you said there were humans held captive here. You said it was our chance to fight back.'

'And it is,' Taj insisted. 'We just have to keep going. We'll find them.'

'Fight back against what though, Taj?' Levi held out his hands. 'Against one lone enemy? Against the squadron outside that completely bypassed this place? Where are they, huh? You expect me to believe that in a harvesting facility of this size, they're going to have one weak-arsed soldier that just so happened to be taking the stairs all on its lonesome. It might have been a facility once, but I don't think it is now. It's too quiet. Too damn easy. Now, either one of you is a traitor or you all are, but whatever way it is, I'm going to have to cut you all down right now and get the Hell put of here, because I don't trust a single damn one of you.'

Levi's people glared at us, their guns at the ready. Tension cut through the air, gripping my throat.

Breathe, Evie.

'Levi, for God's sake, man, I just got attacked by that thing,' Taj said. 'Evie just helped kill it. She saved you. You can trust us.'

I stopped myself from looking at him then, because I already knew that wasn't true. We couldn't be trusted, evidently no more than Levi could.

'Trust?' Levi scoffed. 'Where is the trust in the New World? All trust died when the human race did.'

Taj shook his head. 'No. I don't believe that, and I don't think you do either. We're not dead yet. At least, not as long as we get moving and fast. You heard what Lena said, we are all in danger here. We've got to do this and get out now, before it's too late.'

'Yeah? I tell you what I think,' Levi said, his voice taking on a harder, more dangerous edge, the one I knew could have him flipping on a knife's edge. 'I think we were in the danger from the moment we stepped foot inside this place. There's something wrong about this building. Something's really fucking wrong in here. This place reeks of them and yet they're nowhere to be seen, apart from this guy. You people got us traipsing through London for you, searching floor to floor of an empty, fucking building on your say-so, and then this one here comes back telling me my men are gone, yet she managed to escape just fine, coming in here covered in human blood. The blood of my men.'