Chapter 32

Hermione took a deep breath and inhaled the usually comforting scent of a hot summer day outside of The Burrow. Now, however, her insides twisted in knots at the aroma, and not just because she'd apparated on an empty stomach.

She'd left Draco that morning with some ginger ale and toast, promising to be back later in the day so they could discuss this trip he was so desperate to take. He'd grumpily waved her off and said he'd already decided on France and that he'd take care of everything, all she needed to do was tell her office she was taking all next week off. Hermione huffed and left, but had to admit, it would be quite nice to have someone else planning a trip instead of her. Any holiday she'd taken with Ron had resulted in him complaining about her meticulous itineraries that she'd spend weeks putting together.

Speaking of Ron... Hermione wondered if he'd even be here today. Well, no use delaying the inevitable, she thought, and strode toward the home. Before she could walk five feet, Ginny dashed out of the house and over to her.

"Should you be running in your state?"

Ginny frowned at her. "You're almost as bad as Harry. I'm pregnant, not an invalid! I'm not even that far along!"

Hermione crossed her arms over her chest as she eyed the home behind Ginny. "How bad is it in there?"

Ginny's face immediately softened. "Would you like it from best to worst?"

"Wait, what?" Hermione sputtered. Wouldn't Ron be the only one in a foul mood?

"Well after Ron left ours last night, he went to George's. He called a 'Weasley family emergency'—without me, mind you, the prat—and told the entire family about you and Malfoy."

"So everyone... the whole family... the whole family knows?" Hermione asked, stunned.

Ginny nodded, giving her a sympathetic grimace. "I'm sorry, Hermione, you know how he gets. Shoots his mouth off, asks questions later."

Hermione sighed and ran a hand down her tired face. "Right then. Best to worst it is."

Ginny smiled grimly. "Well, you obviously have mine and Harry's whole-hearted support. Charlie was quite outspoken in your favor, Bill told me he was very passionate in your defense." Hermione smiled, wondering if Charlie would heed his own advice from their heart-to-heart in the pantry from a few months ago.

"Next, we have Bill, Percy, and Audrey with tentative support. Bill said he has no quarrel with Draco, Audrey doesn't know him personally, and Percy believes anyone is worthy of a second chance if they can prove themselves."

Hermione nodded, that sentiment made sense coming from Percy, she thought fondly.

"Now we move on to the level of neutrality. Angelina is torn I think, both because of George and she remembers Malfoy as a little cockroach on the quidditch pitch... but apparently her cousin is Malfoy's boss and she's heard nothing but good things since he started working there. She has no real animosity towards him, and she thinks the world of you but..." Ginny trailed off with a resigned sigh and Hermione understood. Easy enough to figure out where George stood then. "Padma's in the same boat too," Ginny continued. "She respects your opinion and choices, and was never a personal target of Draco's at school... but she's obviously seen first-hand how this is affecting Ron."

Hermione sighed, and fought down the feeling of guilt that threatened to creep up.

"Which leaves Fleur, George, and as you know, Ron."

"Wait, Fleur? Has she even met Draco?" Hermione asked, bewildered as to how the French witch could possibly be upset by this.

Ginny shot her an apologetic look. "Fleur umm... well she blames Draco for Bill's injuries. Because he let Greyback into Hogwarts the night that Dumbledore died."