The Golden Lagoon of White Agony Plains

(I want to thank GrapeJuice1011 for giving me this idea)

Charlotte sat at her window sill late at night. Scrooge and the boys were all dressed up in tuxedos, getting ready to go to some gala. Scrooge and asked her if she wanted to come with, but she refused. She didn't like the idea of wearing a dress at that moment.

Scrooge came to her room, already dressed up. "Are you sure you don't want to come with?" Scrooge asked. Charlotte nodded her head. "We'll be back soon. If you need anything, let Mrs. Beakley know." Scrooge said. Charlotte nodded and watched them leave to the gala.

Charlotte stared up at the night sky as she let her thoughts take over. These past couple of months have been... pretty good. I'm surprised I haven't been kicked out or anything. Her mind then shifted to Scrooge. Mr. McDuck has been so nice to me for these past months. He has been ever since I met him. No other adult, besides Mr. Duck, has ever treated me with such kindness before. It feels... nice. Charlotte thought back to what Scrooge told her during their time in Ithaquack. "If he tries anything to hurt you, I'll protect you." Charlotte slowly smiled. He makes me feel like I belong here... in this family. However, her smile soon faded. No. That's just wishful thinking. Either something goes terribly wrong, or I end up back with... them. She shivered at the thought.

She didn't know how long she had been staring off into space. What felt like minutes was probably about an hour, because crashing noises rang across the mansion. Charlotte could hear Webby and Mrs. Beakley fighting against an intruder. Charlotte's heart stopped. Please don't tell me they found me! Charlotte quickly hid underneath her bed, shaking as each second passed. Please no. Please no. Please no. Tears ran down her face as the noises abruptly stopped and there was silence. She did her best to keep herself quiet. The last thing she wanted was for the intruder to find her.

About a minute passed by until Scrooge and the boys arrived back to the mansion. Scrooge was rushing to his room when he heard faint whimpering. He followed the sound until he entered Charlotte's room. As soon as he stepped foot into her room, the whimpering stopped. He looked around her room until he laid his eyes on Charlotte's bed. He kneeled down and spotted Charlotte underneath the bed.

Her body tensed up as she scooted back, thinking it was the intruder instead of Scrooge. "Lass? What in the blazes are you doing under the bed?" Scrooge asked softly. At the sound of Scrooge's voice, her body relaxed and she started whimpering again. "Oh, lass. Come here." Charlotte slowly crawled out as her body continued shaking from the intense fear she was experiencing. Scrooge had taken a blanket from Charlotte's bed and wrapped it around her for comfort. Her shaking ceased as she welcomed the blanket's warm embrace. "It's okay, lass. You're safe. Now dry those tears." Scrooge said. Charlotte sniffed as she wiped away her tears. "Attagirl, lass." Scrooge said. Charlotte stared up at him. He's so nice to me... but why? Scrooge got up and made his way to his room. Charlotte kept the blanket around her as she followed Scrooge, the boys not too far behind.

Scrooge burst through the doors to find the intruder, Goldie O'Gilt, waiting for Scrooge while wearing his top hat. "Hey, Moneybags, where's the other half of the map?" Goldie asked Scrooge. "Where are Beakley and Webbigail?" Scrooge asked. Goldie got up and opened his closet door, revealing Webby and Mrs. Beakley tied up inside. "How did you let that thief back into-!?" Goldie closed the door before Mrs. Beakley could finish. "You reprehensible recreant!" Scrooge said angrily. "Please stop flirting in front of the children." Scrooge turned to see Huey, Dewey, and Louie peeking their heads through the door. "Ooh! Ah-!" They yelled as they shut the door just as a chair was sent flying towards them by Scrooge. Charlotte could only shake her head.