33. The Ruthless Mafia Boss?

______________________

.

.

.

Mateo pushed the wheel chair on which River sat, looking lost and traumatized. The woman was playing her part to get that long leave. He had asked if she couldn't just resign and get a job when all of it settled down, to which she replied, "And be treated like an intern? No thanks."

He got to see new shades of this character every day.

An amazing surgeon.

A concerned, loving and a delicate mother.

A badass biker.

A dangerous ex-gangster.

A shrewd mastermind.

And now, a crazy drama queen.

"I just realized something.." She whispered.

"What?" He asked as he wheeled her into the elevator. His car was parked in the basement.

"Doesn't it mean the twins will have to skip school too?"

He hadn't thought about that.

"We will just home school them then." Mateo said.

"That sucks." She chuckled. "Ki's going to miss her Flynn."

"Excuse me?" He slightly turned the wheelchair to the side so that he could see her face.

She rolled her eyes. "Not you too."

"Who's Flynn?"

"The kid my- our little Ki got a crush on."

"Crush?"

"Can't blame her though. He got the cutest blue eyes, just like his dad."

"His Dad?"

"Yep. Aaron somethin" River nodded to herself.

"Excuse me?" River could see that Mateo was getting riled up, for no particular reason.

"Calm your titties, Capo." She chuckled.

"You don't even know what a Capo means!" Mateo rolled his eyes.

"I do now, if Google is right." She stuck her tongue out at him while he shook his head.

The elevator door opened with a ding.

River and Mateo looked at each other for a few moments like two complete idiots before he pushed the wheel chair out as River hopped off of it.

"Where is your car?" She asked as she speed-walked towards the rows of vehicles, swinging her duffel bag, while Mateo pushed the wheel chair to where the rest of them were.

"The silver Bugatti Divo." He said, tossing the key at her. She caught it with her free hand and unlocked the car, getting in the driver's seat while he got into the passenger's. She slapped her bag of essentials to his lap, revving the engine.

"You need to change your car." She stated as she pulled the car out of the parking lot.

"What? Can't handle the speed?" Mateo smirked. But he was impressed at the ease with which she drove the car. As if she has been doing this for all her life.

Who knows? She was capable of anything.

"You have two kids now, Mateo. Five-year-olds. You need a bigger car which can hold two car seats." She rolled her eyes.

"Noted."

Mateo stared at her intently, waiting for more instructions. But none came.

"That's it?"