Birthdays and Boys

(Mentions of drugs and teen drinking)

         On January 30th, 1960, Lily and Poppy Evans were born.

Their first year of life revolved around Lily, the youngest and weakest daughter. The complications during the pregnancy and birth had expected a bad outcome for Lily, which made her life so much more important. Petunia and Poppy fell into the background, but Petunia was determined to stay with the group and she ended up helping her parents care for Lily. Then, Poppy was left alone.

Petunia and Lily were very close growing up, until the day Lily's Hogwarts letter arrived. Petunia turned to jealousy and envy and ended up rejecting witchcraft. In a way, Poppy could understand where she came from. It felt like her sister was taken from her, like it's a barrier that separates them, muggle and witch.

Poppy never really had a problem with Petunia. They weren't close or anything, but Poppy was glad to be forgotten when she called Lily a freak. Poppy could hear Lily cry in the middle of night about it, while Poppy would sit and listen. Don't get her wrong, Poppy cares about her sister, but it's just a word. It only has meaning if you let it. Besides, the first time it happened, Poppy went to check on her, but she was pushed away with a murmur. "You wouldn't understand."

In a way, Poppy did and did not understand. She understood that their own sister thought that Lily is a freak, but Lily forgets that Poppy has magic too. However, Petunia has never once said anything like it to Poppy's face. Perhaps it's the perks of being invisible.

Naturally, Poppy learned to learn to face the word alone.

Birthday's included.

*✶⋆*★

         "You're a softy." Poppy murmurs, running a gentle hand of the tattooed skin. "It's been two weeks."

Sirius whines, trying to move away from Poppy's kind fingers. "It's still sore." Poppy rolls her eyes. "Does it at least look cool?"

Poppy laughs and looks at the decently sized black dog on the corner of his back. "I've said it looks great for two whole weeks."

Sirius pulls his shirt back down and turns to look at the redhead. "I can't see it, so I'm going to trust your judgment."

"Want to take a look at mine?" As Poppy turns around, Sirius blushes pink. She pulls the back of her chunky yellow sweater over her head and holds it in front of her chest, covering her bra. Sirius, once again, tries to resist staring at her bare back and to only look at the long poppy flower tattoo in the middle. "Unlike you, I can handle a little needle, so I'm not sore." Sirius stays silent. Poppy pulls her sweater back on and turns to find a red Sirius Black.

"Happy Birthday." He blurts out suddenly.

Poppy's smile fades a bit. "Thanks."

Sirius doesn't miss her look. "What's wrong?"

"It's nothing."

"It's not nothing if it's bothering you." He counters.

Poppy rolls her eyes and tucks a lock of hair behind her ear. "Isn't it against some rule to interrogate someone on their birthday." She murmurs, before grabbing her bag. "We've got to go."

"What why?" Sirius asks, but follows her lead by picking up his stuff.

Poppy gives him an amused look. "We still have class."

"But it's your birthday!" He exclaims.

Poppy laughs as they make their way down to halls. "I never do anything for it anyway."