Chapter 26: BBQ, Beer and Interrupting Mothers

Freshly clean from the shower, Callie feels much better. She slides on some jeans and a t-shirt. Once giving herself the once over in the mirror, she rejoins Josh in the living room.

            "How about some BBQ tonight and a nice big beer?"

            "Sounds good to me," Callie nods. Her eyes falling to a bruise on his cheek. "What happened to your cheek?" she asks concerned.

            "Work," Josh answers.

            "What happened? Or can you not tell me that also?" Callie asks, giving him a look.

            "A fight," he says, not going into too much detail.

            "You know, you need to shave a little. It doesn't have to be all gone, clean it up a little," Callie says, rubbing his stubbly chin and glancing over his shaggy hair.

            "I have been incapable of shaving the last couple weeks."

            "I'm just saying. Don't get too comfortable with it.," she chuckles.

            "Don't worry. I'm not. Come on, let's go eat."

            The two find their way to an authentic barbeque place downtown. Callie doing the majority of the talking with Josh being secretive about his work details no matter how vague the questions are. The two walk into the restaurant, an old west theme with heads of longhorns spread throughout. The two land a table by the window and do not take long to figure out their order. Josh ordering ribs, cornbread, and fries. Callie ordering a pulled pork sandwich and steak fries.

            "So, have fun while I was gone?" Josh asks, taking a sip of his beer.

            "What do you think?" she asks, setting her sandwich down and wiping her mouth.

            "Nothing," he laughs, taking another sip.

            "Bingo," Callie points at him as her phone begins to ring. Their conversation cut short.

            "Hey honey, congratulations," she hears her mom through the speaker. Sorry, she mouths to Josh.

            "Hey thank you."

            "What are you doing? You seem preoccupied," her mother notes.

            "I'm just at dinner with a friend. Celebrating the big win," Callie looks up at Josh.

            "Oh okay. Well, do you want me to let you go?"

            "I mean it's no big deal," Callie says, chewing on a fry.

            "Who are you at dinner with?" her mom presses harder.

            "Just a friend mom."

            "Fine, okay. Well, we're thinking of coming out to Texas in a few days."

            "Okay. Are you and dad staying at my place or a hotel?"

             "Well, we usually stay at your place, but we can get a hotel if you want us too. Why? Do you have someone else staying there?"

             "Mom, do you guys want to stay with me?" Callie asks.

            "If you don't mind."

            "I don't mind," she nods, finishing the last swallow of her beer.

            "Okay, I will see you in a few days. Love you."

            "Love you too mom. Bye," Callie hangs up and sets the phone down. She runs a hand through her hair. "So, my parents are coming next week," she says, rubbing her eyes.

             "Well, this ought to be fun," Josh smirks.

             "And they are staying with me," she continues.

             "Alright, so no staying with you for a few days," he winks.