Chapter Eight

(hey, quick note from Melli before we start: I'm going to try and keep this story as short as I can, because I have better ideas for better stories with more interesting plots, so forth. They will still be mcyt/dnf related don't worry! However, this means I'm going to have to do a few large timeskips throughout Wanderlust. I was going to just leave this behind so I could write some Dnf fics that interested me more, but I'd rather finish this one than leave it so open ended. So please forgive me if this starts to feel quick or rushed. Alright, enjoy!)

dream was very, very confused.

To say the least.

After the almost-kiss, which was over a week ago, he was starting to feel as if George was avoiding him. George didn't walk beside him, sit beside him, and whenever he would get himself into a situation with Dream, George would try and find a way to escape. 

And that was not a good feeling, not at all. 

Now, with only four days left of time in London, Dream was terrified that as soon as these four days were up, George would cancel his flight to New York, and he wouldn't be able to apologize or at the very least find out what was wrong with his best friend. It hurt him to see George so constantly nervous or sad whenever they made eye contact.

He was currently sitting in Sapnap's hotel room, his face buried in his hands, listening to the gentle sound of the microwave and soft whir of the mini fridge. 

The moon was up- Dream hadn't been staying in George's flat recently, for fear of the brunet's discomfort- Yet Dream refused to sleep. In fact, he probably wouldn't be able to sleep if he tried. Hot, stinging tears rolled tauntingly down his cheeks, staining them with streaks. His eyes were bloodshot and swollen from crying. His lungs ached unpleasantly, his throat scratchy and sore. 

Maybe it was the cold starlight that mixed with the warm yellow light of the lamps inside the room, reminding him of the night he'd danced with George. Maybe it was the soft red blanket, unused, laying in the corner, reminding him of the nights he and George had fallen asleep in one another's arms. Maybe it was the distant smell of breakfast, reminding him of the time he'd woken in George's apartment and given him a hug. 

But whatever it was, something about tonight had broken him. Dream couldn't place a finger on it, but he knew it was there. 

Sapnap returned to his side, sitting down at the edge of the bed that Dream was perched on, a glass of water in hand. Bad lingered a few feet away, seated neatly in a chair. Dream kept his gaze fixed on the ground, at a specific small scuff in the rug. 

Sapnap pauses for a moment, eyes flitting around the room, choosing his words carefully.

"Okay, Dream, what happened?" 

 |~Dream~| 

I press my face into my hands, as if they could protect me. "It's a long story." I mumble through my fingers, blinking to stop my tears. It doesn't work. 

Bad smiles gently. "We've got time- You can use it. No rush." He says warmly, leaning back a little in his chair and pulling his legs to his chest.

Sapnap nods agreement. "Come on Dream, it's okay. We won't judge you for anything, you know that." Gently, he reaches over to coax my hands away from my face.

I blink a little, staring out the window. "Well uh- Sapnap knows I've had a crush George for like.. Well, forever." I begin quietly. My voice is raspy with fatigue and tears, making it difficult to get the words out properly.

Bad nods lightly. Sapnap gently curls my fingers around a glass of water, which I sip from gratefully. The cool liquid soothes my throat, allowing me to continue.