A hiding place

"Are we at the animal sanctuary?"

Korra turned around from facing the place to look at Asami. Her eyebrows were up in surprise and her lips were slightly parted. It wasn't hard to understand that Asami wasn't expecting this, and in all honesty, Korra hadn't been expecting it either. The only people she told about Naga were her parents when she attempted at convincing them to take Naga home, and even then they didn't know how much time she spent there. But Asami was so special, so sweet and kind... She'd never judge Korra for this, she'll never make fun of something so personal to Korra. It wasn't even a secret to herself that she saw Asami as more than just a friend, and though she didn't like it, her body was aching for her to act on that.

So, perhaps the first step, was to finally allow herself to open up, just this once.

"We are," Korra said, rubbing the back of her neck, "all your talk about social work reminded me of this place."

"Do you come here often?" Asami tilted her head, curiously scanning Korra's posture.

"Whenever I get the chance," Korra admitted with a sheepish smile.

"What is that look?" Asami said in disbelief, index finger pointing at Korra's face.

"What?" Asked Korra, confused.

"Are you flustered?" Asami said, her eyes wide. "I have never seen you be anything other than cocky and confident."

Korra frowned. "Fine, be a bitch about it. I shouldn't have brought you." Korra grunted out, fisting her hands and starting to walk away, but Asami quickly grabbed her shoulder to stop her.

"I'm not being a bitch," she said, "I'm just... Bewildered. Seriously, I have never seen you not smug and secure. It's odd." Asami let out a soft chuckle.

Korra sighed, turning back around and staffing her hands in her pockets, shrugging. "It's just..." Korra nibbled on her bottom lip nervously. "...Personal. I never brought anyone here."

"So why are you showing it to me?" Asked Asami, confused.

"You're special," Korra said, smiling softy and grabbing Asami's hand, "c'mon, let's go in."

Asami looked at her in a mixture of reverence and confusion as Korra dragged her inside. The moment the tan girl opened the door, the entry bell went off. Su raised her head from the counter, lips curling into a smile as her eyes landed on Korra.

"Korra!" She called, then blinked. "And... Asami?"

"Mrs. Beifong?" Asami said, slightly surprised herself.

"You two know each other?" Korra asked, then straightened her back when she digested what Asami said. "Wait, Beifong? Like Opal Beifong?"

"You know my daughter?" Suyin asked with a raised eyebrow.

"Oh," damn, I should really start paying attention to people's lives, "yeah, we go to the same school together."

"Korra's in our friend group," Asami informed Suyin, gesturing to her.

Korra couldn't help but smile at that. Even in her own friend group, she wasn't exactly included- she was more of the person who accidentally overheard the three making the bet and joined up. She wouldn't say she was a part of anything, not even her family. So hearing Asami refer to Korra as a part of her friend group was... Nice.

Of course Korra wasn't really a part of it, but it was still nice.

"Well, it seems good kids find each other," Suyin winked, making Korra blush a little at the prospect of an adult telling Korra that she was a good kid, it also had Asami snickering.