Chapter 27: The National Championship

Sailing the rest of the way through the playoffs, the Longhorns find themselves in the National Championship game. This moment something Callie has dreamed of her whole life, always fantasizing about it in high school. Her eyes scan over the massive crowd and tries to find Josh in the flood of bystanders but having a hard time.

            Once warming up, the game gets underway. A constant, back and forth, close nail-biting game. A few gasp moments here and there, stressing out the crowd along with the players as it winds down. Callie is on fire, her pitching game perfect with some close calls. After a long, hard fought victory, the Longhorns come away with a W and the National Title. Everyone in the stands erupts as Callie strikes out the last person, ending the game.

            After the initial celebrating, they shake the hands of their disappointed opponents. Staying out on the field, they are presented with the trophy. Once taking pictures for each other, the newspapers, with family and friends Callie sees Josh standing by the dugout talking to a few guys. She hands the trophy over to Emily and sprints to Josh.

            Jumping into his arms, she wraps her own arms and legs around his body, not caring that she's sweaty, covered in dirt and sand. Josh catches her, laughing and sliding his arms around her.

            "Congratulations," Josh smiles, kissing her forehead.

            "Thank you," the eye black under her eyes smudged from sweating.

            "How about a shower than a congratulatory dinner?" Josh asks.

            "Oh, you're saying I smell?" Callie asks, setting her feet back down on the ground. Her eyes immediately dart to two familiar faces. Her parents.

            "You definitely stink," Josh winks.

            "Congrats!" her mother squeals with excitement once they walk up. Giving her daughter a big hug.

            "Thanks," Callie smiles.

            "Why don't we go get a bite to eat honey?"

            "Um, Josh here actually invited me out after I showered. Do you guys want to join us?" Callie asks, taking a quick glance at Josh.

            "Okay," her mother nods. Callie and Josh head out, getting Callie back to her house so she can shower and change, her parents taking her there as Josh hangs back, getting a table.

            They make their way to the restaurant, Callie receiving a text from Josh informing her they he was able to get a table.

            "So, are you dating him?" Callie hears her mother speak.

            "What? No, we're just friends," Callie answers since Callie doesn't really know what they are.

            "You looked a little more comfortable than friends."

            "Leave him alone tonight please. He's not the same guy that he was in high school," Callie looks at her mother sternly.

            "Okay, only because it's your night."