Chapter 9: The Secret Dictionary To Affection.

I walk back to my room, but on my way there I pass the library. I reverse a few paces and look at the half open double doors. 

My maids thought I was out with the prince, what other time is more perfect than now? 

I walk into the library and my breath is instantly taken away. I wasn't exactly sure if I was allowed in here, but it was a library. I'm sure the King and Queen, and especially Victoria, would love to see selected reading about Illéa's past. After all, we only learn about the past so we don't make the same mistakes in the future. 

I take in the large library for a few more moments before actually walking up to the secretary sitting at a small desk. Or she was the librarian. I wasn't sure because she was typing a million miles a minute on her computer. 

"Excuse me," I say politely and the older woman looks up at me. 

"Can I help you, miss?" she asks, her eyes wide and fascinated. 

"Do you have any books on King Clarkson? Any records or biographies about him?" 

The woman frowns a little as she glances down at her computer. After a few clicks she looks back up at me. "I'll show you," She stands up and begins to lead me to a section in the back. It was behind at least three bookshelves, and the place she directed me was in a small corner. Wow. The King and Queen really wanted to burry Clarkson in their past. 

"These three rows should include various things about him. May I ask why you are looking this up, miss?" she asks.

I already begin scanning my eyes over the books. "I'm just trying to learn a little more about Illéa, I'm a small step behind all the other selected and I would like to catch up."

"Very well, miss." The librarian says before walking back to her desk. 

I scan the three rows for a few more seconds before sighing. This wasn't the information I needed. These all involved what he did for Illéa and how he ruled as a king. What I needed was a book about his behavior. I didn't need to know how he ruled as a king, I needed to know who he was as a king. 

Just as I am about to give up, I noticed a small gap in between two sets of books. This could have been a coincidence, but these books were in alphabetical order. One copy was missing. 

I pick up the book that is nearly closing the gap and read the cover: The Ups and Downs of Illéa; Clarkson Schreave book 2 

There were two books, and the first one was missing. Someone has checked out the first novel. But who could possibly want to be reading about King Clarkson during this selection? This was most likely a coincidence, but I like to read too much into things. There was always a reason for something, and I really hope the reason this book wasn't here is a good one. 

I grab the second book anyway and begin to exit the library. "Thank you," I call out to the secretary and she gives me a small wave before I leave. 

***

"How was your date with the prince, Cordelia?" Elise asks as she twists my hair in a bun. 

Athena and Daisy weren't here, but I didn't question it. I don't think I really need maids, but I also didn't mind the company of Elise. She was nice to be around. 

"It was alright," I answer honestly. "Could have gone better,"

I see Elise frown in the mirror. "What happened? He seemed to really like you when he came in here earlier."

"We just came to a disagreement is all." I sigh and pretend to be disappointed. "It was silly to think he would pay attention to someone like me."