Chapter 29: Surprise

Callie's eyes open, turning her head to see the empty spot beside her. Her hand slides over the silk sheets and feels the lingering heat from Josh's body. A piece of paper slides down the pillow and lands by Callie's hand.

            "Hey babe, sorry I had to go again. I'm not sure when I'll be back but you know that when I do get back, I'll be over first thing again. Have fun at the doctors today and I will see you as soon as I can. –josh."

            Her mouth turns up into a grin as she reads over the neat scrawl. Sitting up, she looks around the room once more before getting out of bed, taking a quick shower and heading out for her doctor's appointment. She arrives at her appointment ten minutes early, sitting down and waiting to be called back.

            Once in the room, the doctor talks to her for a bit, catching up on life and everything that's been going on. They run the standard examinations during a checkup. The doctor steps out after a few moments as Callie sits there, wondering why the appointment is taking longer than usual. The doorknob turns, Callie watching her doctor step back in, a file in hand.

            "Um Miss. Jacobs, this may come as a surprise to you, but you're pregnant."

            Callie looks at him. "Wait, what?" she asks.

            "You are pregnant, and you seem to be almost two months along," he tells her. "You haven't had any morning sickness or feeling off here lately?" he questions.

             Callie continues to stare, trying to process what he just said. She shakes her head no.

            "But we used condoms," Callie mumbles, mainly to herself.

             "Well, sometimes condoms aren't always effective."

            Callie keeps her place on the exam table, her hands meeting her face. Her thoughts immediately flood to Josh who is gone for the time being. Seven words flashing in her mind. I'm not sure when I'll be back.

            "Not to be rude, just routine question, do you know who the father is? I would be sure to contact him."

            "He's in Marines and he left this morning on an assignment. I don't know when he'll be back and I'm not allowed to have any contact with him while he's gone."

             The professional sighs. "Well, this makes for a difficult situation."

            Callie nods, not saying a word. Tears begin to fill her eyes and a lump builds in her throat.

            "There are other ways of dealing with the situation if you don't believe you can handle a baby."

            "Like what?" Callie manages, wiping her eyes.

            "Well, you could have the pregnancy terminated or else you could give the baby up for adoption."

             "I don't know," Callie says, rubbing her arms. The feeling of loneliness overtaking her in the small exam room, wishing that Josh was there to receive the news with her. Not sure entirely sure how he's going to take it.

             "No matter what you decide, here are some additional phone numbers and just sit and think as long as you need," he says, handing Callie a small piece of paper. He steps out a few seconds later.

            Her eyes scan over the numbers on the paper as he walks out, seeing numbers for clinics and groups. She does notice a number on the white sheet that she knows is a help center and information number for Adoption. Sliding the sheet of paper in her bag, Callie replaces it with her cell phone. Her fingers find Josh's contact and she just stares, wanting to share the big news.