The New Family

{Chapter Three}

"That's why you're here," Abby said looking over at the two women she identified as her social worker Ms

"That's why you're here," Abby said looking over at the two women she identified as her social worker Ms. Lewis and the psychiatrist Doctor Turner. Ms. Lewis had visited Abby when she first moved in with her father. Doctor Turner helped Abby cope with her mother's death.

"Yeah. Abby, we have a really nice family who wants to look after you." Ms. Lewis told her.

"Can't I stay here?" Abby asked her voice shaking.

"I'm sorry." Ms. Lewis said shaking her head. "I'm going to take you to a place where there are people that will look after."

Abby looked at Pepper to see that she was crying. The young girl had been through this before she knew that no matter how many times she asked they weren't going to let her stay at home. She felt a tear fall down her cheek and rested her head against Pepper's shoulder.

"Okay." The girl whispered.

An hour later Abby was sat in Rhodey's arms her head buried in his shoulder trying to hide her tears. Rhodey rubbed comforting circles on her back as she cried. Pepper had packed a suitcase of clothes for Abby and loaded it into the car.

"Abby, it's time to go," Rhodey whispered.

Abby lifted her head from the man's shoulder and looked over to the women planning on taking her away from her home. She turned back to Rhodey and Pepper her eyes shining with tears.

"I don't wanna go." She told them.

"I know, but I will come and see you. All the time." Pepper assured her.

"You promise?"

"I promise."

When Rhodey placed the girl on the ground Abby wrapped her arms around Pepper's waist. The woman crouched down and pulled the girl closer, kissing the side of her head.

"I love you, Pepper," Abby whispered her arms tightening around the woman.

"I love you, too." Pepper replied trying to stop herself from crying.

Pepper stood up taking the little girl's hand and leading her to the car where Happy stood.

"Hey, kid." Happy smiled.

"Hi, Happy." She replied with a small smile.

"Are you ready?" Ms. Lewis asked earning a teary-eyed nod from the youngest Stark.

Pepper pulled out the iPod Tony had given the girl two years ago. She placed the earphones in the girl's small ears and place a kiss on her forehead. The woman then took the stuffed lion from where it laid on top of the car and handed it to the girl. Abby slid into the car and played her music ignoring the two women accompanying her.

The drive was almost an hour-long but they soon reached a house with a family of four stood outside, waiting for them.

"Abby, we're here." Doctor Turner said softly making the girl look up at her.

Abby sighed, looking out of the window at the family. The two parents smiled nervously with their daughters stood in front of them dressed in clothing it was clear they had been forced to wear.

They looked like a poster for the perfect family. Abby didn't want the perfect family, she already had it. Her mother was her best friend and they had a perfect life together. Although she and her father weren't close she still loved her life with him. She didn't want it any other way, she wanted to stay with her dad and Pepper.

"I know it is hard. But this is for the best. They are a lovely family and they will look after you." Doctor Turner assured her.

"I want to go home. I want my dad. I don't want a new family." Abby told her, "Please just let me go home."

Abby had promised herself she would be strong, she promised herself that it wouldn't be like last time that she would be strong. She missed her home and she missed her dad. She didn't want a new life.

"I'm sorry, sweetie, I can't." Abby looked at the woman for a second before wiping away her tears and opening the car door. She watched as Happy took her bags out of the car.

She looked over at the family who were waiting anxiously to meet her. She turned when she felt a hand on her shoulder to see Happy.

"You're gonna be okay, kid." Happy told her.

"Do you think they'll find my dad?" The girl asked in a quiet voice.

"I know your dad and I know that he will be fighting to get back to you. He loves you. And your Uncle Rhodey won't stop until he brings your dad home." Happy smiled.

"I hope so." She nodded before turning back to the women who were going to introduce her to the family.

The three of them walked towards the family, Abby holding Doctor Turner's hand tightly. The two parents smiled down at the girl as she approached. Since living with Tony, Abby had become more confident and didn't cower away. She stood confidently beside the doctor.

"This is Abigail." Ms. Lewis introduced the young girl.

"Hi, Abigail." The mother smiled. "I'm Naomi and this is my husband Kevin, our daughters Olivia and Sofia."

"Hello." Abby smiled.

"We have a room for you upstairs. The girls can show you around, while we talk to Ms. Lewis." Kevin smiled.

Abby turned around to look back at Happy waving goodbye. Happy smiled at her before she followed the new family inside.

"We'll show you around." Olivia smiled. Olivia was the oldest at twelve years old, whereas Sofia was eleven.

Abby followed the girls through the house until they finally reached her new room. It was larger than the room she had in her apartment she lived in with her mother but a lot smaller than the one she had at the Malibu mansion. It didn't bother Abby that the room was smaller, but she missed her home.

"Who was the man outside?" Sofia asked sitting on Abby's new bed.

"That was Happy. He's my dad's bodyguard." Abby replied tightening her grip on the stuffed lion.

"Your dad has a bodyguard?" Olivia's eyes widened.

"Yeah. He drives us places or he follows my dad's car to make sure we're okay." Abby explained.

"Your dad is the man on the television, isn't he? The one that is missing?" Olivia inquired.

"Yeah. But my Uncle Rhodey will find him." Abby tried to convince herself.

The three girls sat on Abby's new bed talking. They were kind to her and didn't make her speak any more about her family. The first night at the new house was difficult. Abby couldn't sleep. She missed her home, her bed.

She missed her dad.