Chapter 8: Camouflaging

Days soon turned into weeks on the boat. Gabi and Falco seemed to have wandered up and down the boat in boredom. No doubt plotting a way out of this boat. But then, the lifeboats are guarded by a few trusted guards. It'll take more than two teens to take on armed guards to get to the lifeboats. If they're seen nearby, we'll increase security measures. 

Sasha, surprisingly, was nowhere to be seen. Other than appearing for meals, she hasn't been anywhere else on the ship. You looked around, yet there was nothing else around to entertain the ecstatic woman of Sasha Braus.

Wherever or whatever she was doing, she did it in the isolation of her room. If anything, she took the night watch.

It wasn't long until you finally arrived into Marley. Instead of wearing your Survey Corps uniform, you had to wear a top hat and a suit. A black tie wrapped around your neck- you tugged it away because the friction between your neck and the collar seemed to have reddened your skin. Shining black shoes- it was what a normal person would wear within Stohess. 

Right as the boat was being pulled into the port, Falco and Gabi were dressed as they usually were. Just cleaner clothes.

Sasha.

Bearing a long, pale orange dress and her hair tied up in a bun. Her eyes were brightly caramelized in the sun's rays. Her hands gloved up in white gloves to hide her roughened hands. If you didn't know anything, you would think of her coming from a lot of money. Suitors would fall into line behind her. Maybe she would even be betrothed. Sasha Braus was never that.

She catches your eye, looking away as her cheeks had blushed. "Q-Queen- I mean, Historia lent me one of these dresses."

"She lent you a dress?" Your eyebrows rose in confusion. Perhaps Sasha stumbled on her words and meant to say someone else. But who else was a queen nearby that she knew personally? Other than Historia, no one else. Sasha was lying, for Queen Historia was the smallest of the bunch. Female wise.

Her lies continued on. Who and where the dress really came from remains unknown. "Ah... yes, of course she did!" You didn't want to pry into a girl's lies like that. Especially with Sasha. A hunter and a murderous gaze... you never wanted to mess with her. "A-Anyways, we should hurry to our safe house, right?"

"Ah, yes."

Falco and Gabi's heads turned around, fearful and panic ran throughout their veins as they walked through the Marleyan grounds without their armbands. Why they trembled like that remains to be a mystery. They kept their mouth sewed shut. Not another peep arose from them. 

Arriving to the safe house, there was one person occupying the room. You could tell it wasn't a Marleyan or another Eldian that resided in Marley based on the little pin that bared the emblem of the Survey Corps: those Wings of Freedom. His true alliance showing through. No Marleyan or Eldian in Marley knew what it meant unless it was the Warriors of Marley or people from Paradis.

Hidden in plain sight.

Once you appeared, flashing your own little pin to show proof you were a Scout. The Scout inside gave a nod, letting you inside. He treated you like a normal person- that was until all the doors closed. 

"Who sent you?" He had asked, looking and examining everyone else. No doubt he was sent by Commander Hanji herself. You didn't recognize him at all. 

You replied in a simple name, not giving him the commander title- just in case if he did kill the actual Scout who was meant to meet us here. "Hanji."

Recognizing the name, the Scout's guard went down. "Bedrooms are upstairs. I locked all the windows and put a blockage on all of the bedroom windows. The only way out would be the front doors. I do have keys to lock the doors for your safety-"

"Thank you."

You took a glance towards Gabi and Falco- they were probably thinking this would've been a way out. But to them, it looked like all hopes were lost. There was a pang of confusion and pity for them. They, too, suffered in this country. That was just their reality.

"Sasha, do you want to help take them upstairs?"

She gave a slight grumble, but nodded her head. "Yeah, yeah..."

Once she disappeared, your true intentions showed through. You whispered to the Scout, telling him your plan for the rest of the night. It seemed he had peaked in interest, yet he would do his duty in guarding the two kids. Even though it might break protocol, this should've been a great time to ask her on a date. Perhaps to add a bit of camouflage to hide within Marleyan's citizens.