𝐢𝐢𝐢. joanna

CHAPTER THREE

casterly rock, house lannisterthe westerlands

the westerlands

HER FINGERS BRUSHED SLIGHTLY AT THE PAINT COVERED SURFACE OF THE MAJESTIC PORTRAIT IN FRONT OF HER. Her finger unconsciously runs down the face of the woman in the portrait. It was a painting of Joanna Lannister, the mother of Jaime. Joanna could not understand how the woman was so beautiful, even more so then Cersei. But Joanna Lannister rather had a much more kinder face then Cersei, her face flashing a small smile that would lift up any bad tension in a room. She somehow felt saddened that she had died in childbirth, wishing silently to have met her.

"She was the light of the west," came a voice behind her, making her turn towards the speaker. As she did however, she remembered doing so gracefully, for she did not know who would be watching. As she met with the eyes of Tywin Lannister, she retreated the finger on the portrait, letting her arm fall to her side.

She stepped back from the portrait and gave the lord a bow. "My lord Lannister." she could hear him letting out an unexpected snort. Joanna lifted her eyes and game him a small smile, though she now realized he had not been looking at her, rather at the portrait. She suddenly felt pity for the lord, having lost his wife after such short years together. In truth, is was more common for arranged marriages to be miserable rather then a lovable, yet the lord and lady Lannister seemed to prove them wrong. She had of course heard the tales and stories of the beautiful and kindhearted Joanna Lannister and the cold and frightening Tywin Lannister. Of how she was the only woman to have managed to make him crack a smile.

Tywin stepped closer to the portrait of his long decreased wife, his fingers copying what she had done earlier, yet he seemed to be so fragile doing so, like he was caressing her cheek. Her heart throbbed for him, for his wife. "She was a lovely woman." He muttered mostly to himself.

Joanna had never been ashamed of her name before, yet when she realized that she had the same name as his decreased wife, she had begun to feel the shame run through her. She knew she could not help what her name was, but even so. She took a deep breath before speaking,"I hear she was, my lord," she examined the portrait once more. "I now understand why she was called the most beautiful woman in the seven kingdoms."

Tywin shook his head turning his head towards her as he began straightening his posture. "I heard my son has not been bedding you often," Joanna could feel her heart quicken, her mouth was halfway open, now knowing what to answer. Tywin let out a vexed breath, his calm demeanor gone. "Need I remind you that in order for you to be with child, is to bed your husband. I nearly lost Jaime to the kingsguard and could once more if I'm not careful. But when he has had heirs, I will finally rest"

At the small amount of time she had been on Casterly Rock, she had felt the feeling of becoming closer to Jaime. They were not in love, far from. But they talked anything that took an interest to them. Jaime would tell her of his day, of how he had managed to help a young guard with his sword dueling and in return talked about hers. She had also noticed small gestures from him. He would constantly ask her if she needed anything, which of course she responded with 'of course not, I have everything I need and more'. He would also make sure he sent her white flowers to her bed some days, she did not know why he did so with the flowers, but the gesture warmed her heart nevertheless.

When she was not confined on her room or with Jaime, she often took strolls through the gardens with Cersei. That had been her least favorite times, ones that would leave her with an uncomfortable feeling the rest of the day. The woman was cold, no love in her bones for the Stark-Lannister. Joanna was not oblivious to the glares constantly sent her way. She seemed to hate her more then anyone, at least in her eyes, and the time spent with her. There was no denying her hatred for the new Lannister. But still, true to her word, she was still content.

She forced the cornered of her lips not to quiver up, as she had no desire to let lord Tywin think she had laughed at him. She looked up and gave him a stiff nod,"Of course, Lord Lannister, I give you my word."

She did not have to give out her word. For she remembered her husbands words at the supposed bedding. 'i won't touch you unless you want me to'. She felt a smile flutter up her face, now being unable to hide it. She did care for him, and maybe it was time for her to give him an heir.

"Jaime?" Joanna questioned, staring at the saddened man on the bed. She looked at him, he was not in a very good condition, that much she could catch. He was holding his head in his hands, covering his tear stained  face.

Joanna took a few steps before halting. He looked broken, occasionally letting out sobs. Joanna sat beside him, her hands on her lap. She briefly though about driving him into a hug, but she decided against it. They were not that comfortable with each other yet.

"Jaime? Please speak to me, I might help." That suddenly brought Jaime to cease his tears, his face now toneless. Before she could do something Jaime abruptly jumped out from the bed, his back turned from her.

"You can't help. The decision is made already. I will lose her." Joanna furred her brows in confusion. She had no idea who he addressed.

Slowly but steady, Joanna swept of the bed, and walked over to Jaime, taking his large hands in her small ones. She noticed him stiffen, his shoulders becoming tense. She touched his cheek, her cold hand agains his wet cheek. She game him a caress before gently asking,"Who will you loose, Jaime? Talk to me."

Jaime let out a shaky breath before staring at Joanna hard, his hand now on top of the small hand on his cheek. He grabbed her hand and brought it to his mouth for a kiss. She felt her cheeks redden, and she had to restrain herself from showing.

"You needn't not to worry, love," love. "My father wants Cersei to marry King Robert."

Joanna could feel her heart break for him. She didn't have a twin, as she was a year younger then Lyanna. Yet she could feel the pain of loosing a sibling to someone. Although Lyanna was dead and Jaime's sister is not. It was still the same, Jaime would not be seeing her for a long time.

She shook her head and brought him to the bed, gently rubbing his arm for comfort. "I understand. I have lost a sister to death, you will lose your sister to a man." Joanna smiled sadly, realizing that she had rammed up herself and her marriage with Jaime.

She stiffened however when she felt a hand come to her cheek, stroking her. She lifted her eyes to his beautiful emerald eyes, he looked so broken. So beautifully broken. Her thoughts were cut off by the feeling of Jaime's hand wrapping around her waist, halting her movements. He tugs her to him, their chests bumping and before she would know it, Jaime had grabbed her jaw and planted a heavy kiss on her lips. Joanna retreats, her cheats heavy, her hands falling on his chest in surprise as she blinks up at him.

The night was filled with passion, love, but mostly, it was filled with betrayal, not that she would know.

Thanks for reading !