chapter forty-nine

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

CHAPTER FORTY-NINE

TRIGGER WARNING: MATURE

Rosier spun her on the dance floor, snapping fingers and tapping feet in a mash of inebriated movements, and Varya threw her head back in a peal of lively laughter at the absolute chaos. She was not the finest dancer, yet Ren was too far gone to make any sense of what he was doing.

His purple tie was hanging untied from his hand as he wiped it around, side-stepping and singing the words to the ending song as his curls ruffled. Varya herself had beetle red cheeks, glazed over by sweat from an eventful night, and her lips were pulled in a glowing beam.

She squealed as he seized her hand and twisted her around, her legs tangling in her dress, and yet Varya felt delight and excitement as she twirled around eagerly. The ball had been going on for a few hours now, and under Nicholas Avery's command, she had had her fair share of champagne to drown out her displeasure at Tom for abandoning her.

Elladora had escaped from the scenery some time ago, and when she came back, her lipstick was slightly smudged, and her eyes shimmered with transgression, an indication that she had probably capsized that poor boy's night with her teasing and coquetting.

"Of course, nothing went past first base. And that is where the fun is, correct? Always have them think they have you where they want, then leave. It baffles them to no end. You have a lot to learn about such games."

Varya queried if that is where she had done wrong with Riddle— she had given everything to him, had let herself fall into his schemes knowingly. After all, there was little time for her left to enjoy, and that made her reckless. She wanted to be consumed by everything, knowing that she would probably never experience love at its fullest.

The party had died down by then, and Nott was by the entrance with Lestrange, bidding the guests farewell as they passed through, and Varya threw herself on an empty seat, pulling her stilettos off and massaging her feet to alleviate the stress of a danced night. Regardless of Tom's disappearance, she had enjoyed the party, and the rest of the Knights had as well.