Chapter 30 | One Month

"How's it going, Dani?"

"Same as when you asked me two minutes ago. And two minutes before that." She tosses me a dry look and I wince in apology.

"Sorry. You're sure you don't need help?"

"We've survived the whole day, Ser," Harper calls from the front. "I think we can manage five minutes before closing."

Dani elbows my rib cage. "You know, the point of asking for help around the bakery is actually letting us help."

"I know," I relent. "I've just been managing it on my own for the past seven months and it's weird to hand the reins over."

"What reins? You've been bossing our asses since we stepped in here."

That is so, totally true. Though it can't be helped. It's been a tough month since I went viral and there's a lot I've had to face these past few weeks.

My Instagram blew up once again, both in a good and bad way. A lot of my posts had wonderful comments about how far I've come and how my hard work in inspiring. Most of the comments were less than stellar, specifically under the posts of me with my baked goods where I was told "this is exactly why you were obese" and "at this point she's just asking to be made fun of."

I contemplated deleting my account but that wouldn't have done me any good. No matter what happens I have to choose myself, and my bakery is the biggest part of myself. So I'll take whatever shit-storm people have ready and I have been.

Coming back to work was equally tough. The stares and whispers were obvious. Some were pity. Some were thinly-veiled laughter. But at the end of the day I was getting customers. That's all that mattered. I had to constantly remind myself that months ago I would stare at the door and beg someone to walk in, and most of the time they wouldn't. Now I have customers from opening to closing and it might be hard to face all these strangers but I do what I can.

I was prescribed anxiety meds and they've been helping some. Lately I feel like I'm up to my head in work so today I asked Harper and Dani if they could come and help. They showed up at six a.m. no questions asked. Dani has been helping me make the batches of batter after my brief crash course in baking and Harper has been serving customers, being the people person she is. How'd I get so lucky?

When the last of the customers walk out and Harper switches the sign to closed, all three of us plop down in a booth.

"My arms are so fucking sore," Dani groans. "No wonder you have muscles."

She pokes my mediocre biceps and I snort. "Hardly. But yeah, baking is one hell of a workout."

Harper groans. "So is standing and serving customers all day. I'm so glad I'll be sitting my way through work tomorrow."

At the mention, I chew my lips and debate saying anything. I've been wanting to all day and I don't think I can hold back anymore. So I go for it. "Was...um...was Holden okay with giving you the day off?"